• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car broken into!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You'd have thought that a device that knows where it is could somehow be made to let its rightful owner know where it has been taken.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
      You'd have thought that a device that knows where it is could somehow be made to let its rightful owner know where it has been taken.
      You can get that as an extra on high range cars. There was a story on Top Gear a few years ago about some chavscum who'd carjacked the owner of an S-Class in Scotland. He called the dealer, who then alerted ze Herrn in Stuttgart; they followed the car on their screens and as it drove into the Highlands on a chilly winter night, they pressed a button and switched off all the car's systems including the heating, leaving the criminals sitting in a car getting colder and colder as night fell over the remote mountain pass. The police arrived in the morning to find the chavscum suffering from hypothermia, and were able to return the car to the rightful owner.

Just imagine being the geek behind the screen in Stuttgart; you´d be laughing your ass off.

I can´t help feeling they should go a step further in this so they can control the windows, locks and airco remotely.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        You can get that as an extra on high range cars. There was a story on Top Gear a few years ago about some chavscum who'd carjacked the owner of an S-Class in Scotland. He called the dealer, who then alerted ze Herrn in Stuttgart; they followed the car on their screens and as it drove into the Highlands on a chilly winter night, they pressed a button and switched off all the car's systems including the heating, leaving the criminals sitting in a car getting colder and colder as night fell over the remote mountain pass. The police arrived in the morning to find the chavscum suffering from hypothermia, and were able to return the car to the rightful owner.

Just imagine being the geek behind the screen in Stuttgart; you´d be laughing your ass off.

I can´t help feeling they should go a step further in this so they can control the windows, locks and airco remotely.
        Trouble with that is that the GPS unit would have to be able to transmit as well as receive, which would that add to the cost and could be disabled. What about just keeping the receiver part, but allow a code to be sent so that instructs the unit to direct you to some out of the way aqueduct in Spain, or up a remote Swiss mountain pass?

Comment

I thought trackers were relatively cheap these days. I was under the impression that the chavs nick a decent car and leave it somewhere open for a couple of days to see if anyone reclaims it.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            Trouble with that is that the GPS unit would have to be able to transmit as well as receive, which would that add to the cost and could be disabled. What about just keeping the receiver part, but allow a code to be sent so that instructs the unit to direct you to some out of the way aqueduct in Spain, or up a remote Swiss mountain pass?
            Yep, it's expensive; that's why it's only in high end cars.

You could also instruct the satnav to direct the scum toward the police, but I'm sure that even the dumbest of chavs would soon realise that.

Best to just follow the car and direct the police toward it.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
              Annoying.

Messing with another man's prized possession is low. Even if it is a 2006 Fiat Punto.
              Luckily it isn't my prized possession, that lives somewhere else, this is the wife's run-around.

Yes, CH I was a dumbass and left the mount on the windscreen.
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                I thought trackers were relatively cheap these days. I was under the impression that the chavs nick a decent car and leave it somewhere open for a couple of days to see if anyone reclaims it.
                I'd have to think about whether I'd want my car back after a chav has sat in it. I think I'd rather they smash it into a tree and write it off.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                  Luckily it isn't my prized possession, that lives somewhere else, this is the wife's run-around.
                  Good man.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    Whilst writing themselves off at the same time.

We've had a couple around here who've managed that trick.

A win win really.
                    Indeed. They'd have to go bloody fast though; big MB's are known for safety. According to the German safety lot, TÜV, If Diana and Dodi had been wearing seatbelts in that S-Class they'd almost certainly have survived smashing into a concrete post at 130km/h.

I suppose there is a downside to this level of safety when chavs nick the car.

Comment

Sympathy.

Could be worse. My brother-in-law died earlier in the year, and a couple of months later some kids stole his prized 1960s Saab from my sister and torched it.

Comment

Working...
                      X