• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Endowment Policies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, easy when we're older and wiser.

The point was that we were young and naive (stupid) when we took it out, and believed what the FA told us. We'd gone along wanting a repayment mortgage - he'd told us we were crazy, we'd pay it off 8 years earlier with an endowment and shown us three projections, the lowest of which we'd still be better of than with a repayment. We'd never heard of an endowment before we met him. I genuinely believe we were mis-sold - along with many other homebuyers in the late 80s.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
      Yes, easy when we're older and wiser.

The point was that we were young and naive (stupid) when we took it out, and believed what the FA told us. We'd gone along wanting a repayment mortgage - he'd told us we were crazy, we'd pay it off 8 years earlier with an endowment and shown us three projections, the lowest of which we'd still be better of than with a repayment. We'd never heard of an endowment before we met him. I genuinely believe we were mis-sold - along with many other homebuyers in the late 80s.
      I too was young and naive when I took mine out 21 years ago - they are due to mature in four years time. I really didn't understand how these things worked at the time and everyone else was doing the same thing. I'll be lucky to get back what I put in but it's too late to cash them.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
        Yep - we got 'compensation' for a missold endowment - the compensation was the money back + interest at an agreed rate (not sure who agreed it) but it was around 5 - 7 % a year. About 20K more than the endowment was worth (a lot less than we'd put in).
        Did taking that mean you lost the life protection element?
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
          You can buy straight forward life assurance policy for peanuts. Even £1M+ payout costs less than a Sky+ subscription.

Comment

Yes - basically the policy ended.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              You can buy straight forward life assurance policy for peanuts. Even £1M+ payout costs less than a Sky+ subscription.
              I got caught out by that as well.... I was after 100k life only policy to provide for the family if anything happened to me - My financial advisor suggested a policy written in trust which would cover until age 65... I thought that meant 100k cover until 65.... missed the small print which gave them the right to review cover against premiums after every 10 years.... 100k cover is now 65k & another review in 5 years ho fookin hum
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I got caught out by that as well.... I was after 100k life only policy to provide for the family if anything happened to me - My financial advisor suggested a policy written in trust which would cover until age 65... I thought that meant 100k cover until 65.... missed the small print which gave them the right to review cover against premiums after every 10 years.... 100k cover is now 65k & another review in 5 years ho fookin hum
                The clue is in the phrase "My financial advisor".

This is the 21st century with the Internet. You don't need a "financial advisor" any more than you need a lawnmower consultant to cut the grass, infact it's the quickest way to lose money.

Comment

I never trusted endowments when they were the in thing, just seemed very dodgy to me.

I never trusted a financial adviser - how could they be doing anything other than gaining commission on what they sell?

I fell for the pension lark, but parked that after a few years.

I did pay off the mortgage asap though.

Simpleton economics, not made me much but saved me a flippin fortune.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
                    I never trusted endowments when they were the in thing, just seemed very dodgy to me.

I never trusted a financial adviser - how could they be doing anything other than gaining commission on what they sell?

I fell for the pension lark, but parked that after a few years.

I did pay off the mortgage asap though.

Simpleton economics, not made me much but saved me a flippin fortune.
                    WHS. Avoid anything that involves middle men such as "financial advisers". Avoid high debt, complicated financial products and anything where it's impossible to get your money back in a reasonable timeframe.

Buy low, sell high and no.1 rule, never lose money.

HTH BIDI

Comment

My 25 year mortgage endowment matured 18 months ago and failed to repay the mortgage by about £3k. I think we just about got back what we'd paid in but we had to find £3k to clear the mortgage. I had 2 x 20 year policies as savings that I surrendered after about 10 years of paying in and made small profits on, it seems that was a good move now.
                      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                      X