• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Misheard Lryics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Split up on the docks at night" for "Split up on a dark sad night" in Dylan's wonderful Tangled Up In Blue has been tripping me up since the album came out in January 1975

FWIW, I just listened to the track again, and Mr. Dylan's combination of a mildly plosive "n" on "on" and a slight glottal stop on the "d" of "sad" give me some excuse.

In fact, I never realised my mistake until reading the lyrics in his book Lyrics 1962 - 1985. As that was published in the UK in 1987 I spent a good twelve years labouring under this misapprehension. Still, there are other nautical references in the song, and being a native Liverpudlian it makes sense to me that a sad parting might happen at the docks.

(Actually, it makes sense that anything might happen at the docks. It's got to happen somewhere, and the docks are as good a place as any. At least you won't be disturbed by people trying to work.)

They're my excuses, and I'm sticking to them

Comment

"Can't stand gravy" for "Constant Craving" - K.D. Lang
      The vegetarian option.

Comment

"All I do is shine his thing" (All I do each night is think) - Take That, Pray

"Throw off your menstrual chains" - New Song - Howard Jones, although it must be a decade or two since I heard it.

Comment

'oh oh, my ears are a light'

'Beezelzebub had a devil for a sideboard'
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Adrian Just (sp?) used to do these on a Saturday morning show in the early 80s.

One favourite was "Bicycle Pump" - I can remember the tune but I haven't a clue what the original title was, because I always heard it that way from that point on.
            Last edited by Sysman; 18 October 2010, 06:51.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

"No Dukes of Hazzard in the classroom", Pink Floyd, The Wall.

Comment

30 odd years ago, around the time when decent headsets became available, my mum was sitting in the armchair at a family party, with all the kids there
                she starts singing LOUD to the last farewell by roger whittaker
                'there's a ship lies rigged and ...mumble..mumble..****. you are beautiful'

er no mum. its 'for you are beautiful'

didnt even knew she had ever heard the word

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Around the time that Tom Jones had a huge hit with Green Green Grass of Home, my uncle thought the lyrics went "..for there's a God, and there's a sad old partridge!"

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    30 odd years ago, around the time when decent headsets became available, my mum was sitting in the armchair at a family party, with all the kids there
                    she starts singing LOUD to the last farewell by roger whittaker
                    'there's a ship lies rigged and ...mumble..mumble..****. you are beautiful'

er no mum. its 'for you are beautiful'

didnt even knew she had ever heard the word

I can believe that, a friend of mine was quite convinced that the Clash were singing "f*** the casbah"
                    If you find this post offensive, please insert "Chan" before and "tho" after, then it should be OK.

Sometimes I almost feel just like a human being - Elvis Costello

Comment

Bit of a rude one this & you have to listen to the song to get the gist of what I'm saying but I always thought the refrain of the song "Stat Star" buy the Rolling Stones pop group was

"Pakistan, Pakistan, Pakistan, Pakistan., Pakistan...."
                      when in fact it's

"star ****er, star ****er, star ****er, star ****er, star yeah, a star ****er, star ****er, star ****er, star ****er, star,a star ****er, star ****er, star ****er, star ****er star."

Comment

Working...
                      X