• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are you religious/ superstitious?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Actually, I mis-read you. I read it as "do you believe in an entity that doesn't obey the laws of physics?" Apologies.

Because:
    - My investigations into the evidence/arguments show there are no inconsistencies
    - My understanding of the universe as a scientist makes the alternative appear less likely
    - I believe I have personally interacted with said entity
    - I know many people, who I trust, who claim to have seen direct evidence of miracles happening

Opening myself to a ton of abuse, so I might sit the thread out. Books have been written on every angle of both sides of the argument, I doubt I'd add anything nobody ever said. If you're interested, research. If not, no point me explaining more.
    Last edited by d000hg; 8 December 2010, 10:36.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

No it makes absolute sense.
      If you want to answer it and not get all mystical.
      It's simple.
      I'm asking you why you believe there is a supernatural entity in the universe?

I'll get you started:

"I believe there is a supernatural entity because ....."
      There does not have to be a "because".

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        How many?
        Or atheist.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Well Christianity is 100% based on the idea that God does leave a trace of doing so.
          Which makes the lack of evidence, and the exhortations that one must simply believe, quite incongruous.

However even if not, any arguments about what limits a truly omnipotent being has are difficult to reconcile with the idea of true omnipotence IMO. It's more a question for the scholars and philosophers though.
          That is the point. Omnipotence is paradoxical in and of itself. Can god create a stone that is too heavy for him to lift?
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            Just for a moment, assume,like me, that there's no God; would that make the universe itself an omnipotent being?
            If there's no God, it's just random matter and energy. Without self-awareness, it's not a being. I'm sure there are theories every atom talks to every other through quantum bonds but without that, the vast distances of vacuum between bodies mean calling it one being makes no sense.

Comment

Just out of interest, why do you believe in an entity that doesn't obey the laws of physics?
              The laws of physics are an arbitary set of equations that 'seem' to dictate the universe we see around us. Don't assume them to be correct in all cases. We still don't even know how gravity works for christsakes.

Personally. I am fairly agnostic. I do believe in the concept of a macrocosm & microcosm. In the same way a glass of water contains the contents of an ocean. Humans are nought more than machines and the concept that greater beings made from the same macrocosm exist in the universe is certain.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I'll get you started:

"I believe there is a supernatural entity because ....."
                my brother is a Vicar, and I asked him the same question, amongst others.

He reckons there is no reason, there was no sudden flash of lightning or a drum roll. It's just obvious. And if you create something, why bind yourself to its rules ? If you want to go back and intervene, and suspend the rules temporarily, you can. The people within the creation will marvel and call it a miracle.

Dont make the mistake of trying to use reason on a phenomonen that starts its life by saying 'I was not born out of reason'

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  Which makes the lack of evidence, and the exhortations that one must simply believe, quite incongruous.
                  Well billions of people claim there is evidence. That's a fairly large minority. In itself it doesn't prove anything, but it means simply saying "there's no evidence" is a whole can of worms in itself.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                    There does not have to be a "because".
                    Try learning basic English. The "because" relates to why Doogie believes in a supernatural entity.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      - My investigations into the evidence/arguments show there are no inconsistencies
                      Could you point me to some evidence please?
                      I personally have seen none at all.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X