• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Let Northerners pick fruit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swamp View Post
    The Conservative party today slapped down a senior Tory who said jobless Northerners should take fruit-picking work in the South.
    Offensive?... Thats not offensive.

Harry and Paul do it better

Comment

Norman Tebbit put it better 25 years ago when he said "Get on your bike". That worked with me.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        They could try sharing a bedroom with the rest of their eastern european fruit-picking contemporaries. Then they might realise how bleeding lucky they are to be living in a country which for years has demanded nothing in return for wads of free cash than that they watch Jeremy Kyle all day, and vote Labour at every election!!!

The state/ government does not give benefits out of kindness or to keep the poor on side electorally, but to stop them from revolting. As Quentin Hogg (Lord Hailsham) said, 'If we don't give them social reform, they will give us social revolution.'

So they are not lucky - it is just the price of retaining privilege.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          The state/ government does not give benefits out of kindness or to keep the poor on side electorally, but to stop them from revolting. As Quentin Hogg (Lord Hailsham) said, 'If we don't give them social reform, they will give us social revolution.'

Bloody hell! That was a sensible post.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
            Bloody hell! That was a sensible post.
            Yes, I wonder if it holds true?

I guess we'll find out soon enough.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Not lucky eh?
              Let's see them swap places with their counterparts in China or Russia and see just how "unlucky" that makes them feel.
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Not lucky eh?
                Let's see them swap places with their counterparts in China or Russia and see just how "unlucky" that makes them feel.
                Everyone is lucky compared to someone. You are lucky compared to various people who've been dispossessed or worse in a revolution.

Comment

Everyone is lucky compared to someone. You are lucky compared to various people who've been dispossessed or worse in a revolution.
                  Of course I am. The difference being that I appreciate that fact, and when required, in order to maintain that luck, I will retrain, relocate, and work hard. What I will NOT do is sit on my @rse waiting for "luck" to land in my lap. Now perhaps if a few of our unemployed adopted similar policies, they would not be "unlucky" enough to require "lucky" people like me to hand over benefits to them out of my hard-earned (but doubtless highly fortuitous) wage packets.
                  It might also deprive the handwringers of another cause to champion, now that really WOULD be unlucky!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Of course I am. The difference being that I appreciate that fact, and when required, in order to maintain that luck, I will retrain, relocate, and work hard. What I will NOT do is sit on my @rse waiting for "luck" to land in my lap. Now perhaps if a few of our unemployed adopted similar policies, they would not be "unlucky" enough to require "lucky" people like me to hand over benefits to them out of my hard-earned (but doubtless highly fortuitous) wage packets.
                    It might also deprive the handwringers of another cause to champion, now that really WOULD be unlucky!!

No, no, no. They don't require you to hand over benefits. You hand over benefits for your own benefit, because otherwise they will rise up and dispossess / execute you. Your alternative is to create a police state, but by setting up that conflict you might lose.

You can either bribe them or threaten them. Stop blaming other people for your own actions in creating this situation.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                      Just goes to show they don't understand the problem at all, (assuming there are jobs to be had) how are people going to afford the £90 train fare or the £100 per night accommodation costs when they're on NMW?
                      They can do what the Poles and other eastern europeans do - get a bus or walk.
                      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                      X