• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This should raise the blood pressure

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@thunderlizard - how would you feel if it was your daughter killed? Would you still be so accommodating?

Comment

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
      Let's just be clear here: it wasn't murder. At all. But yes, he should have been deported.
      WHS. Hit and runners are the lowest of the low, and it really ought to come with some mandatory prison sentence. But getting all emotional and calling him a murderer isn't helpful.

Justice shouldn't be dependent on where you come from, it should be applied to all people equally. And human rights and immigration should also be fair and equal. Really the question of whether he should have been locked up for longer, and the question of whether he should be depoprted are entirely seperate and one is in no way relevant to the other.

Would the Daily Mail be so up in arms if a white middle class young man did exactly the same? They ought to be, but it's far more sensationalist when it's a story about Johnny Foreigner.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

He should have been locked up for longer.

Causing death by dangerous driving caries a maximum sentence of 14 years. Can't he still be tried for that?
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Would the Daily Mail be so up in arms if a white middle class young man did exactly the same? They ought to be, but it's far more sensationalist when it's a story about Johnny Foreigner.
          I would, but deportation wouldn't be an option then. I'd still want the fooker burnt though.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
            I would, but deportation wouldn't be an option then.
            So what you're saying is, the penalty for an English person for a hit and run that left a girl dead should be a couple of years in jail. Whereas the penalty for an immigrant for a hit and run that left a girl dead should be a couple of years in jail, plus being deported.

Why does the English person get a less harsh penalty? Why is his crime less serious?
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              So what you're saying is, the penalty for an English person for a hit and run that left a girl dead should be a couple of years in jail. Whereas the penalty for an immigrant for a hit and run that left a girl dead should be a couple of years in jail, plus being deported.

Why does the English person get a less harsh penalty? Why is his crime less serious?
              He wouldn't, he'd be burnt! Obviously if we could deport him I'd advocate that. Then burn him.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
                @thunderlizard - how would you feel if it was your daughter killed? Would you still be so accommodating?
                I would feel much too biased to be involved in the sentencing.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                  I would feel much too biased to be involved in the sentencing.
                  But in principle, you would still be morally fighting the poor old kurd's corner? Even after you had to switch off your teenage daughter's life support machine?
                  Yeah..............sure you would.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

On a personal note, I can't work out if I'm more disgusted/outraged/horrified at the driver or our legal system that has so spectacularly failed (again).

I would also add that if it were my child he'd killed and then been effectively let off to do it again, that I'd impose my own 'justice' on him and damn the consequences.
                    The vegetarian option.

Comment

It would be a tough test for anybody's view in that situation. If we are playing speculative role play, how would you feel if it was your dad facing deportation and those baseball-bats?

Comment

Working...
                      X