• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

geneva accomodation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys for answering so fast, and particularly TonyEnglish. From what I have seen, yip, the place is full of expensive tulip hotels
    Am actually in similar case, flying ej every week. Lets hope the place is better than the hotels... or else its gonna feel like a loooong contract

Comment

Originally posted by francie View Post
      Thanks guys for answering so fast, and particularly TonyEnglish. From what I have seen, yip, the place is full of expensive tulip hotels
      Am actually in similar case, flying ej every week. Lets hope the place is better than the hotels... or else its gonna feel like a loooong contract
      Who are you working for? I was at Cargill and they were pretty flexible in terms of arriving late/leaving early to make flights - so long as I made my hours. Having a good rate out there helps a lot!! A pint in Pickwicks was 9.5 chf, which when the pound is around 1.5 chf makes it an expensive drink!

How long is your contract? Unless it's at least 6 months you stand no chance of getting anything to rent. There is a really limited supply of accomodations in Geneva which drives up the price. So landlords can ask for stupid rents - i think the standard is 3 months rent + 1 months rent as a security deposit before you can move in. So if your rent is 3000 chf, you'll be looking at stumping up 12,000 chf before they will give you the keys! That's essentially why I stayed in Annemasse.

Another tip, there is a big apparthotel right on the border. Everybody I spoke to said it was really horrible.

A guy I worked with bought a motorbike and rented a place in one of the French ski resorts for the summer. That worked out pretty cheap, so if you have transport out there it is something to think about.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Reading this makes me glad I turned down a job with Addax Petroleum in Geneva. I never fancied the EJ commute (Liverpool > Geneva) anyway.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          Reading this makes me glad I turned down a job with Addax Petroleum in Geneva. I never fancied the EJ commute (Liverpool > Geneva) anyway.
          I never minded the Liverpool one - it was when I had to go via Manchester that I hated it. I could leave on the Monday 7am flight out of liverpool and be in Geneva for about 10ish and at my desk for 11. Plus, during the ski season the flights were dirt cheap. Once they moved to the summer schedule, there was no 7am flight and I had to go back to the Sunday evening one out of Manchester. That effectively made your weekend a day and a half - and the prices over the summer go mental because there are limited seats and a lot of people commuting! You'd see the same faces at the airport each week. There are plenty of people doing the EJ shuffle!
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
            I never minded the Liverpool one - it was when I had to go via Manchester that I hated it. I could leave on the Monday 7am flight out of liverpool and be in Geneva for about 10ish and at my desk for 11. Plus, during the ski season the flights were dirt cheap. Once they moved to the summer schedule, there was no 7am flight and I had to go back to the Sunday evening one out of Manchester. That effectively made your weekend a day and a half - and the prices over the summer go mental because there are limited seats and a lot of people commuting! You'd see the same faces at the airport each week. There are plenty of people doing the EJ shuffle!
            Glad I'm not one of them though!
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

its a 6months+extension working for a bank. But long term I may look into moving to France rather than doing the commute every week. It will be more pleasant that way, than staying into crappy hotels. I guess I'll discover the lovely Annemasse eventually

Comment

Working...
              X