• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just how long does it take to cool a reactor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Sorry, but that's a ridiculous idea.
    I did not say "ocean floor" on this planet

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

I did not say "ocean floor" on this planet
      That's an idea - Stick a load of nuclear power stations under Mare Imbrium on the Moon, and beam the energy back to Earth via microwaves.

You'd probably be better off at the lunar poles though, as you could easily arrange a constant supply of "cold" (shielded from the Sun) for cooling. Anywhere else is periodically on the Sun side ("daylight"), and during that time baking hot at least at the surface.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        That's an idea - Stick a load of nuclear power stations under Mare Imbrium on the Moon, and beam the energy back to Earth via microwaves.
        You got it ...

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          That's a rather surprisingly benign figure, 10W/kg, with only passive cooling required. I thought some had reportedly caught fire and were becoming a real menace.
          I guess when you have several hundred tonnes of it, it's somewhat less benign.

Some interesting reading here. The Future of Nuclear Power: In-Depth Reports
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Waste Disposal

Has the cost of loading it up in to space-capable dumpsters and blasting them in to the Sun been assessed ?

People will usually say "Ohh, that's going to be expensive", but considering the cost of cleanup operations, and the environmental cost for generations to come, I would have thought that if there was a "Nuclear Waste Disposal Club", funded by all the nations using nuclear power, then surely it would still be more cost-effective to blast it in to the Sun.

With the decreasing costs of space travel, and the economies of scale contributions from all parties to central programme, surely it should be worth a consideration ?

I don't know how many fuel rods are globally used each year, and how much tonnage we are looking at, (10 ? 20 ? 50 ?), but chucking it at the Sun isn't going to bother it much.
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              I guess when you have several hundred tonnes of it, it's somewhat less benign.

Some interesting reading here. The Future of Nuclear Power: In-Depth Reports
              Surprisingliy patient and diplomatic of you. Are you demob happy or something?
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                Has the cost of loading it up in to space-capable dumpsters and blasting them in to the Sun been assessed ?

People will usually say "Ohh, that's going to be expensive", but considering the cost of cleanup operations, and the environmental cost for generations to come, I would have thought that if there was a "Nuclear Waste Disposal Club", funded by all the nations using nuclear power, then surely it would still be more cost-effective to blast it in to the Sun.

With the decreasing costs of space travel, and the economies of scale contributions from all parties to central programme, surely it should be worth a consideration ?

I don't know how many fuel rods are globally used each year, and how much tonnage we are looking at, (10 ? 20 ? 50 ?), but chucking it at the Sun isn't going to bother it much.

What happens if we accidentally litter someone elses patch? We'd have a bunch of angry aliens demanding we pick up our litter. Then where would we be.

Go to the back of the class.

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

The expensive part there is getting 3rd party insurance until the moment it leaves Earth and sets course to the Sun. I guess it will remain so until Tesco gets into that business.

HTH

Comment

I think unreliability of launch vehicles is as much of a factor as cost.

You will need to blast thousands of tonnes (and it is thousands, apparently the US alone has over 60,000 tonnes of used fuel rods, and you would need to launch their containers as well) of payload into space, and space launchers just aren't that reliable. The US Delta IV Heavy rocket will lift about 9 tonnes on an escape trajectory, so that's at least 7000 launches, which I doubt is going to happen without a few failures, and those failures will involve tonnes of nuclear waste falling out of the sky in an uncontrolled manner.

The most viable long term solution is to bury the stuff deep deep underground.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

What happens if we accidentally litter someone elses patch? We'd have a bunch of angry aliens demanding we pick up our litter. Then where would we be.

Go to the back of the class.

LOL !

Well, I'd like to hope that we can pretty much guarantee to hit the Sun, which is in our solar system and therefore ours.

As for littering someone else's patch, the nearest star is about 4.2ly away, and would take approx 40,000 years at current tech to reach, and there are no planets there.

Going further afield, the nearest extrasolar planet from earth is Epsilon Eridani B and it is about 10.5 light years from Earth. 100,000 years at current tech level to get there is a top end guess.

However... Epsilon Eridani B has not been verified 100% and remains unconfirmed due to the heavy magnetic field associated with that star system (which interferes with radial velocity measurements). If Epsilon Eridani B is not our nearest planetary neighbor, then that honour falls to the 3 planet system detected at Gilese 876 about 15 light years from our planet.

Still, that's assuming we cannot point and fire a rocket in to the biggest thing in the sky.
                      Last edited by Board Game Geek; 17 March 2011, 14:40.
                      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                      X