• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'British Democracy Is a Farce'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British democracy is an a la carte kebab. We never invented it but we made it work, now we seem to be on a mission to destroy that.

I have 3 councilors, an MSP, an MP and a MEP, three parliaments, Scots law, UK law and European law and these people are more obsessed with each day informing me what I can and cannot do. The SNP are now pushing through an 'offended law' where they admit singing God Save the Queen in certain circumstances will get you arrested. Madness I tell ye. It was all working out quite well until we let people who invent laws for a living in charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Addanc View Post
      Don't the Swiss have some sort of blocking referenda mechanism; sounds like a good way of keeping the politicos in check.
      Wiki on the subject

The possibility of facultative referendums forces the parliament to search for a compromise between the major interest groups. In many cases, the mere threat of a facultative referendum or of an initiative is enough to make the parliament adjust a law.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
        Looks good, do you think the LibLabCon will sign-up to this?

Comment

Working...
        X