• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Circling the plug hole (bedwetting thread)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    It always amazes me the number of feckless contractors who just wring all the money out of their companies every month and p1ss it all up the wall on Mac Books and gadgets and cars etc and then start moaning when they are out of contract for a bit and have nothing to fall back on.
    Oh and stay away from banking. That's a private closed shop for some of us.
    Phew I'm glad I'm not one of them.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      Only on plan B.

Mostly the ubiquitous "Must have front office experience", or sometimes "must write and speak good German..

you don't want to worry about little details like that

I especially apply on thise roles where they say German only cos I know the client has specifed it and I know the weaker of our species will always cop out at that one and give up

but I also know, as the client knows and the agent knows that 9 x out of 10 they can't find their German speaker and they have to widen the search and that's when they pick up the Benes cv and give me a call

and I always say to the agents straight, I know you want German, but, if you can't find someone German as we all know happens a lot and if your client agrees to widen the search then keep my cv ready - agents always agree

and voila

bob's your cousin

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
        you don't want to worry about little details like that

I especially apply on thise roles where they say German only cos I know the client has specifed it and I know the weaker of our species will always cop out at that one and give up

but I also know, as the client knows and the agent knows that 9 x out of 10 they can't find their German speaker and they have to widen the search and that's when they pick up the Benes cv and give me a call

and I always say to the agents straight, I know you want German, but, if you can't find someone German as we all know happens a lot and if your client agrees to widen the search then keep my cv ready - agents always agree

and voila

bob's your cousin

Milan.
        No tape changers speak German. Milan, you have a special niche!

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
          No tape changers speak German. Milan, you have a special niche!
          Armed with his ubiquitous catchphrase "so ist das der Knopf, der vertreibt das Band?", plucky milan sweeps all before him across the Fatherland!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Joking apart, looking at how things are just now, maybe consider a permie option?

Maybe get two CV's - one for BA, one for tech.

Linked in? Jobserve? CW.Jobs, Monster, etc?

Are you updating your CV with a tiny change each week and resubmitting to fox the database into a new fresh CV to get to the top of the pile?

Are you calling existing contacts from agents to see what is out there?

Are you also phoning after applying for each and every job you are looking into?

I have often got other jobs / contracts to what I actually applied for, as once I have a good rapport with agents they think about me - just another thought......

Maybe allocate some fixed hours over each job hunting option. Sounds like you really need to think about what you want to apply for though as 18 months BA is not a lot, but how fresh are your tech skills still?

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
              It always amazes me the number of feckless contractors who just wring all the money out of their companies every month and p1ss it all up the wall on Mac Books and gadgets and cars etc and then start moaning when they are out of contract for a bit and have nothing to fall back on.

Oh and stay away from banking. That's a private closed shop for some of us.
              WHS & WHS.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                No banking experience seems to be my biggest hurdle with the state of the market at present.
                No banking experience is not a hold back, it must have been everyone in bankings "first banking job" at some point.

If you have the required tech skills, or most of them, just go for it. You can pick up the banking as you go along.

Don't think Front Office, start Middle Office. FO tends to mean hardcore maths and business knowledge.

GL.
                Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

I got robbed on my first banking job. Pitched well cheap, Just like bob, but it got me in.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    I've had to reskill about 3 times in my career - its hard but possible.
                    What did you re-train in ?

Comment

another 9 year old thread. WTF?

Comment

Working...
                      X