• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

With 9/11 tenth anniversary upon us...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was on holiday in Magaluf with a fellow contractor.

Was having a siesta in my hotel room when he came and informed me one of the twin towers had collapsed. Thought it was some weird wind up so told him to eff-off. After he convinced me he was serious we went down to the hotel bar and watched the second tower fall live on Sky News in shock/disbelief.

We were sure the yanks would nuke someone over the attack so were determined to live it large (as best you can in Magaluf ) before WWIII kicked off proper.

One small consolation of the attack was that all the bars and restaurants were showing the footage non-stop, instead of the usual non-stop Only Fools and Horses that they were all hooked up to.

Made the chat up lines ("Come on darling it could be our last night on Earth") more effective, not that you need to put in much effort to pull in Magaluf.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
      Whilst I have no time at all for the tinfoil hat conspiracy nutters, I have still never got to the bottom of the debate about how people could (or couldn't) make mobile phone calls from onboard the planes - or even if they did. There seem to be a lot of conflicting stories about that bit.
      The analogue phones could.

Comment

A good friend of mine's brother was at Harvard at the time on a football (soccer) scholarship. He was due to fly on the AA flight that day but changed it a week or so beforehand as he had college work to do and would join them later for the training camp.

Comment

What struck me the most was the collapse of WTC7 - which did not have a plane crash into tit - it was destroyed by a controlled explosion - and the recording looked very simiilar to WTC1 and WTC2 collapse.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
            What struck me the most was the collapse of WTC7 - which did not have a plane crash into tit - it was destroyed by a controlled explosion - and the recording looked very simiilar to WTC1 and WTC2 collapse.
            Linky?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              Linky?

I don't have it however there are conspiracy theories that stuff was hidden there. From memory the real issue was collateral damage from the collapse of one of the towers.

I was waiting for confirmation of a perm role at .... It fell apart as WTC 7 fell and the NY department I was reporting to no longer had a fixed office and so decided to do the travelling themselves.

Yes I know perm is a dirty word around here but the pay was roughly equal to what my yearly contract income was.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

first week in first job, remember marvelling at how all the desktops could access the internet and watched the news feed until I was told to get back to work

Watched BBC news all night, my astonishment never waning, still seems surreal watching it now.... saw the ITV doc on it last night and it was even worse than I remember it...
                sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
                  FFS! There's always one
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    I don't have it however there are conspiracy theories that stuff was hidden there. From memory the real issue was collateral damage from the collapse of one of the towers.

There was a documentary covering WTC7. Showed massive amounts of damage from the fall of the nearest tower and raging fires from something or other, possibly the fuel tanks stored in the basement.

7 World Trade Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After the World Trade Center bombings of February 26, 1993, New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani decided to situate the emergency command center and associated fuel tanks at 7 World Trade Center.
                    The only aspects of the conspiracy theories I can believe at any level are:

1. WTC7 was demolished due to compromise of the government entities with offices there (CIA, Secret Service, and Department of Defence). I can believe that there may have been explosives in place to facilitiate such a destruction if security compromised. Maybe due to having watched Alias, where destruction of a sensitive building takes place via long placed explosives.

2. The US Air Force shot down Flight 93 due to being late to react to the other hijacked planes and was not going to take any further chances.

3. The US security services and government knew of an imminent attack and chose to do nothing as a way of being gifted the leverage it needed to go and get some oil.
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                      There was a documentary covering WTC7. Showed massive amounts of damage from the fall of the nearest tower and raging fires from something or other, possibly the fuel tanks stored in the basement.

7 World Trade Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The only aspects of the conspiracy theories I can believe at any level are:

1. WTC7 was demolished due to compromise of the government entities with offices there (CIA, Secret Service, and Department of Defence). I can believe that there may have been explosives in place to facilitiate such a destruction if security compromised. Maybe due to having watched Alias, where destruction of a sensitive building takes place via long placed explosives.

2. The US Air Force shot down Flight 93 due to being late to react to the other hijacked planes and was not going to take any further chances.

3. The US security services and government knew of an imminent attack and chose to do nothing as a way of being gifted the leverage it needed to go and get some oil.
                      And then there was the one that all the Jewish people that worked in both of the towers had been tipped the wink by Mossad not to turn up for work that day!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                      X