• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

At last, one great idea from the government............

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was saying years ago they should build a floating airport in the Thames estuary, with rail links to London through Southend on the north bank and via a similar location in Kent. But apparently the snag at present is that it would be too close to Holland, and the air traffic control would overlap. Can't see that would be a problem in the future though if it was all computerised anyway.

A way they could expand Heathrow without requiring any space is to vertically enclose all the nearby reservoirs, after perhaps resiting and reshaping them, and build the runways and terminals over these. An incidental benefit would be less evaporation and chance of contamination.

In fact just enclosing or "entunneling" a stretch of the M25 round West London would create a huge amount of space over it, albeit rather elongated; but then there's the security risk of truck bombs.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      I was saying years ago they should build a floating airport in the Thames estuary

Just weld together all the aircraft carriers they've decommissioned, or are building to be mothballed.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
      X