• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone cook their own curries?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by russell View Post
    I prefer to order from the local Indian restaurant, as they have years of experience and all the authentic ingredients to hand. Same reason I don't build my own vacuum cleaner or make my own olive oil.
    You get no enjoyment from cooking then? Actually, I can't be bothered to pursue this.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
      Who tagged this as mildly racist?
      Quite right too! There's a small picture of a coloured gentleman on that packet of 'Uncle Bens'.
      The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by TinTrump View Post
        You get no enjoyment from cooking then? Actually, I can't be bothered to pursue this.
        Not really, it takes years of training to become proficient, contrary to popular belief of all the amateur chefs out there following a Jamie Oliver dumbed down recipe. If you have ever eaten at a proper restaurant then you will know what good food taste like (and you wont be able to reproduce it with a few ingredients from Tesco and a cookbook).

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          Or to flavour the rice for a different curry, throw a couple of cardamom pods and some cummin seeds into the boiling water while cooking the rice.
          I went on a curry cooking course and what they suggested was to heat a little oil and dry some cumin seeds and cardamom pods along with a stick of cinnamon and some crushed black pepper. Cumin has to cook to get all the flavours out. Then add a measured amount of water and the rice. Bring to the boil and cover. Then turn off the heat and the rice will absorb all the water - think the measure is 1.5 cups of water to 1 of rice. Works a treat and tastes nice.
          For the curry, the tips I was given were
          fry the spices so that they cook - cumin etc - chilli does not need to cook. They will release oil when cooked through.
          fry any onions for longer than you would think you should.
          add more salt that you really think you need. We tested this by adding some salt to the sauce and you couldn't notice the kick from it. Adding more and more really brought the flavour of the sauce out
          In the day we made a curry, rice, Bombay spuds and chapattis. One of the best Christmas presents my wife got me!
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Not really, it takes years of training to become proficient, contrary to popular belief of all the amateur chefs out there following a Jamie Oliver dumbed down recipe. If you have ever eaten at a proper restaurant then you will know what good food taste like (and you wont be able to reproduce it with a few ingredients from Tesco and a cookbook).
            What makes you think the chaps running your local takeaway are any better prepared than you? Just because a bunch on Indian chaps decide to run a restaurant doesn't mean they can cook. These days the ingredients are freely available and there are a number of very good cook books that will allow an amateur to produce something superior to a local takeaway (unless Atul Kucher, Meena Patack or Madhur Jaffri runs your local takeaway).
            Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

I started cooking when I was 8, so I've had about 30 years practice. I was lucky enough to be taught the basics of making a takeaway curry when I was younger as I worked in a local curry house for a bit, I've also learnt from various foreign friends over the years.

I tend to follow the curry club cookbook recipes. Use fresh whole spices and do what they say (i.e. use ghee instead of oil, and don't skimp on marinading time) and your end result will be comparable to a good takeaway curry. All of the ingredients you need are readily available, although not from Tesco.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
                What makes you think the chaps running your local takeaway are any better prepared than you? Just because a bunch on Indian chaps decide to run a restaurant doesn't mean they can cook. These days the ingredients are freely available and there are a number of very good cook books that will allow an amateur to produce something superior to a local takeaway (unless Atul Kucher, Meena Patack or Madhur Jaffri runs your local takeaway).
                They have won numerous awards and have been there for over 15 years?

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
                  What makes you think the chaps running your local takeaway are any better prepared than you?
                  Anyone who has read his posts would come to the same conclusion
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    I started cooking when I was 8, so I've had about 30 years practice. I was lucky enough to be taught the basics of making a takeaway curry when I was younger as I worked in a local curry house for a bit, I've also learnt from various foreign friends over the years.

I tend to follow the curry club cookbook recipes. Use fresh whole spices and do what they say (i.e. use ghee instead of oil, and don't skimp on marinading time) and your end result will be comparable to a good takeaway curry. All of the ingredients you need are readily available, although not from Tesco.
                    I regret not learning cooking earlier and having the experience you have. The price I pay is the profit margin of the restaurants.

Comment

I regret not learning cooking earlier and having the experience you have. The price I pay is the profit margin of the restaurants.
                      If you don't have a go you will never get better. You may find you have a talent for it.

Try Pat Chapmans Curry Club books.
                      Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Working...
                      X