• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Identity theft

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to work in fraud department and typically it was one of the following (in order of commonality)

1. Moving house - lots of people don't set-up mail forwarding so there post goes to old house - where I have lived for 3 years we still get previous persons bank statements / replacement cards etc - keep rerturning them but to no avail.
    2. Interception - either dodgy postmen or people in the bank - we had a few oiks selling customer details - both in UK and India - since they have ALL your details, they can do a lot - some even changed the customer address, requested a replacement card and pin then a week or two later would change the address back to customers.
    3. Relations with a grudge
    4. Skimming - don't ever let you waiter take your card away from you!! One restaurant had a secret camera above where the customer enter the pin so would skim the card and then know the pin number!!

Go straight to Experian - they have the best info help etc - since they are who supply it to us and are trustworthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hill Station Murthy View Post
      To be honest I think you have nobody else to blame but yourself if these things have happened to you.

Let me give you some advice. get a shredder and shred all your posts, don't ver pay by plastic when they have only carbon paper machine and don't buy anything online.

Security over wire is pretty good in general but there are security holes often at the hops in between.
      You are passing judgement on me without any facts.

I shred everything, I've only ever used my card on secure well known websites or via chip 'n' PIN yet it's still my fault?
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        You are passing judgement on me without any facts.

I shred everything, I've only ever used my card on secure well known websites or via chip 'n' PIN yet it's still my fault?
        Oh. By the way, when this happened somebody also went to a post office and put in a mail redirect. Just be aware of that.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Hill Station Murthy View Post
          To be honest I think you have nobody else to blame but yourself if these things have happened to you.

Let me give you some advice. get a shredder and shred all your posts, don't ver pay by plastic when they have only carbon paper machine and don't buy anything online.

Security over wire is pretty good in general but there are security holes often at the hops in between.
          WGJS.

You have no clue what you're talking about. Regarding your 'advice':

* Shredding all personal documents is pretty much de rigeur these days for anyone who is remotely security conscious.
          * Carbon paper machines are few and far between but actually pose a pretty low risk anyway as they don't capture security number on the back. You were (until chip 'n' pin) far more likely to come a cropper through card swipe add-ons (e.g. an extra inch of swipe nearly un-noticeable on a standard card swipe) which read all the details on your mag stripe.
          * "Don't buy anything online" is crass and is advice akin to "if you don't want to get run over then don't leave the house" - it might work but is ridiculously over the top. For the uninitiated better advice would be don't buy from retailers you've not heard of but anyone remotely clued up knows the signs to look for when considering whether or not to buy online - if in doubt then don't.

If you're still confident it could never happen to you I have a challenge for you: PM me your full name (name and surname) and one other item of information that is in the public domain or that you might happily mention over coffee to a colleague - i.e. the town in which you live, football team you play for, golf club at which you're a member etc. etc. I'll post in general every bit of information I can access about you with the exception of the details you provided in the first instance.
          Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Ravello View Post
            WGJS.

You have no clue what you're talking about. Regarding your 'advice':
            Didn't Clarkson make some similar comment about how hard it was to have your identity stolen, so published some details to prove it couldn't be done.

And then someone set up a direct debit to a charity from his bank account

Edit: Yep - £500 to Diabetes UK
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Apey Logies for bringing this to top again but various sites say shred even envelopes with name and address on.

Why? This is basic info that every Tom, Dick and Harry unsolicited mailer already has and which, for companies, has by law to be included on websites etc, so what purpose is there in trying to conceal it?
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                Apey Logies for bringing this to top again but various sites say shred even envelopes with name and address on.

Why? This is basic info that every Tom, Dick and Harry unsolicited mailer already has and which, for companies, has by law to be included on websites etc, so what purpose is there in trying to conceal it?
                Plus any old scrote with a phone book...
                Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

HSM is a trolling sockie FFS.

I don't know who are the biggest ejits - him or you lot for being taken in by him!
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    Didn't Clarkson make some similar comment about how hard it was to have your identity stolen, so published some details to prove it couldn't be done.

And then someone set up a direct debit to a charity from his bank account

Edit: Yep - £500 to Diabetes UK
                    Anybody I give a cheque to, or any one I give my bank account details to for a BACs payment can do the same.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Anybody I give a cheque to, or any one I give my bank account details to for a BACs payment can do the same.
                      And yet that doesn't work in Europe. I see folks who are happy to publish details of bank accounts on web sites for paying in, and they don't suffer from fraud.

It seems to me that the UK banks need to get their act together on this issue. US banks possibly more so.

I know most folks in the UK are dead set against ID cards, but over here they work well.

And you need that ID card to open a bank account or do mail redirects. If the address doesn't match, then they won't do it.

And to address (pardon the pun) the issue of mail going to an old address, your letterbox here has your name on it*, and if your name isn't there any more, the postman simply won't deliver.

* a few folks from the UK that I know don't really like having their name on a letterbox outside their place of abode, but the system seems to work well.
                      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                      X