• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Learning Russian

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, you're so graceful. Thanx
    You're welcome. I have plenty of class, I just get irked by ignornant posts having a pop at the Russians.

Comment

C'mon WS, it's par for the course if you admit to having a russian bride.

Take a CP.

Comment

it's par for the course if you admit to having a russian bride.
        Spod, I was defending the Russians before I ever mentioned my wife was Russian. And I would do it regardless of my wife's nationality.

Take a CP.
        Spod, don't say that; you'll completely destroy my image of the Stretford End.

Comment

Some words to start with..

Please to meet you = Mandavoshka

I have nothing to declare.= Poshyel k chyertu

How much is this? = Passossee mayee yaitsa?

What time does the bus come? = Thomarai gand mai lund hai?

I would like a tourist visa. = Ya tvoyu mamu yebal pakimis tye smotrel i plakal kak malinkaya suka.

Comment

Re: Some words to start with..

BigJohnE, have you been hanging around the Vladivostok docks?

Such language...

Comment

learning languages

Russian is very hard to learn, if you want to speak properly that is. For starters words have different endinds and pronounciations depending on context - gender of objects (male, female, neutral) affects that as well as other things.

I graduated from school with a silver medal which was given to those who had no more than 2 non-A grades - my only B grades were for Russian language and Russian literature (related since you had to write lots of essays).

It really is hard to learn, so if you fancy learning language then take my advice seriously -- learn Chinese and this will keep you out of the trenches in the upcoming WW3. When the Chinese win you can get a safe and easy position of an interpreter in one of their labour camps. :rolleyes

Comment

Re: learning languages

I graduated from school with a silver medal which was given to those who had no more than 2 non-A grades -
                AtW, were they still giving out real medals when you graduated?

Comment

real

Real as in made of silver? I don't think so.

To be honest at the time when I got medal they changed policy -- my sister is older than me by 5 years and she was genuinly going to get Gold medal, however in her time (USSR was still in force) they had stupid policy of giving no more than 1-2 gold medals per city of 500,000, even though our school was top school in the city, but nevertheless they intentionally gave my sister B grade for what was A grade work -- unlike me she was top in Russian literature, but scum teachers let her down.

When I graduated situation changed as schools became more interested in getting their children out with medals, it became statistic of pride.

Well anyhow, I got silver medal, which was pretty fair since I knew other subjects very well, its only fecking Russian and Russian literature that were major problem. And Chemistry, but that's another story :rolleyes

I am off to get haircut and parts for SKA.

Comment

Re: real

I am off to get haircut and parts for SKA.
                    And that my son is why you'll never be a real software engineer!!!

Never go to the barbers voluntarily!

Comment

Re: real

When I graduated situation changed as schools became more interested in getting their children out with medals, it became statistic of pride.
                      Sounds very familiar to me - if they don't pass change the exams. :rolleyes

Comment

Working...
                      X