• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Passat Owners (don't laugh)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Is your life really that dull you actually want to own a Passat when there are lots of interesting cars out there?
    I need an estate and the list of affordable cars is:

Alfa 159 (anything but the 3.2)
    VW Passat (2.0T or 170 TDI)
    Audi A4 (getting a bit pricey)
    BMW 3 Series (tulip in ice and snow)

I favour the Alfa but still worry about reliability (I'm used to bombproof Japanese motors).
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      I need an estate and the list of affordable cars is:

Alfa 159 (anything but the 3.2)
      VW Passat (2.0T or 170 TDI)
      Audi A4 (getting a bit pricey)
      BMW 3 Series (tulip in ice and snow)

I favour the Alfa but still worry about reliability (I'm used to bombproof Japanese motors).
      What about the Mazda6 estate? Or the CX-7?

I'd take a punt on the Alfa. Buy an extended warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by BillHicksRIP View Post
        If you're going for a pre-2008 model with a PD engine, make sure it's had all 4 injectors replaced. They used to be £800 a pop, but VW are replacing them free of charge, but if they haven't been replaced, the engine can cut out at any speed.
        Check for a recall..

Official Pd170 Injectors Recall - VAGdrivers - sponsored by Alloy-Wheels.ie
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Ive got a W'Reg 1.8 petrol Passat Estate for lugging the dogs about in.
          Nice car to drive, not had any problems, and ideal for the dogs.
          not sure what the MPG is, but certainly seem to be pouring fuel into it quite often!

Comment

Is your life really that dull you actually want to own a Passat when there are lots of interesting cars out there?
            Is your life really that dull you actually want to spice it up with a car when there are lots of interesting activities out there?

Comment

What about the Mazda6 estate? Or the CX-7?

I'd take a punt on the Alfa. Buy an extended warranty.
              Mazda6 is on the list but I forgot to add it, I hear the diesels are tulip and the petrol models aren't very interesting apart from the 2.5 but not many about.

Oh I don't know, change my mind like the wind, probably stick with my current Mazda6 for a few more months.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

The B5 and B5.5 VW Passat/Skoda Superb really are best avoided. They have some serious problems with water ingress into the electrics and various other places due to some really, really dumb detail engineering around the pollen filter, the battery plenum chamber, the bonnet release grommet, sun roof channel drains etc.... The design faults were around for years and never fixed properly, the internet is full of the horror stories. Best to avoid (especially the 2.0 PD diesel engine which eats engine oil pumps) these cars, IMHO.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

WHS

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    WHS
                    (no need to explain)

Comment

Now I've had a couple of glasses of wine I'm thinking sod it the wife has got her new people carrier maybe something sporty? I bought a 5 door last time because of the kids but I can count the number of times they've been in my car on one hand.

Leon Cupra? VW GTI?? 130i has got to be a hoot surely?

Comment

Working...
                      X