• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Computer Science graduates have the highest unemployment rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was bought up on Commodore 64's, Oric, Atari, Amiga.

Typing in programmes from Commodore Horizons magazine etc.

Spent ages coding when I was 14-18, Assembly on my 64, Basic on 64, Cobol on Apples IIe.

Was a hobby way before it was a career, been lucky to integrate both (well sometimes )
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Computer Science degree and Tier 1 visa and you are sorted though.......
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Low level. Yawn. We're talking practical skills you know.
        And thats the problem.. Computers are now like cars, most people dont have a clue how they work, but they are happy to drive them on a daily basis..

Comment

Originally posted by Joeman View Post
          And thats the problem.. Computers are now like cars, most people dont have a clue how they work, but they are happy to drive them on a daily basis..
          You would hope that the bloke fixing the brakes has some clue how they work though.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            You would hope that the bloke fixing the brakes has some clue how they work though.
            but he doesnt really need to. Modern cars are designed to come apart with the minimum amount of tools in the minimum amount of time so that the dealers can employ monkeys to service them. The guy at the dealer replacing your brakes likely has no clue how the braking system works, and thats where we are with computers too... how many times have you called up Desktop supports, and some kid has just swapped out your machines for a new one. no attempt to fix the problem, just swap the box for a fresh one...

Comment

Originally posted by Joeman View Post
              When and where did you study?? i think its a recent problem that "the basics" have been dropped from courses because they are too challenging.. an no, its not based on one student, its based on a few that ive spoken to who just dont have a clue whats going on inside a PC. not that i care much though, as the fewer people who know the secrets, the better my day rate will be in a few years when the current set of undergrads are all fumbling about trying to do everything in HTML...
              Why don't you just google and see what the current undergrad courses are offering.

School of Engineering and Computing Sciences (ECS) : - Durham University

School of Engineering and Computing Sciences (ECS) : Level 2 modules - Durham University

School of Engineering and Computing Sciences (ECS) : Level 3 modules - Durham University

Or did thy not teach you the basics of research and analysis on your course?

Durham seems to have the basics, bit of Java, C, web etc. Anything that doesn't measure upto your standards?
              "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
                Durham seems to have the basics, bit of Java, C, web etc.
                Utterly pointless, how are they supposed to find employment with that tulip, I've never used any of those three in my 12 years of industry experience.

(For the hard of thinking, I'm being sarcastic but still making a valid point)
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Notascooby View Post
                  When I worked at Logicak and they decided that they could offshore all the development roles to Logicak-India I asked where the next generation of solution architects would come from. PM spreadsheet mgt thought you could take graduates, throw them on a course and then they'd be an architect. Whilst you can read up on "enterprise" architecture, you can't just walk into solution architecture. Same goes for graduate analysts, holding a meeting and taking notes isn't analysis, that's secetarial work, which I've pointed out to a few "analysts" in my time.

Like any job, there's no substitute for experience, class room based projects are all very well but its handling screaming PM's demanding deliverables yesterday, attempting to elicit requirements from stuck-up jobsworths and keeping your mouth shut despite knowing you're right and that everything is going to go tits-up that are the real world skills. No Uni course is going to deliver "IT project realisim 101".
                  You missed out 'communication with Bobs' in your list.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but how many of these grads are coming from tulipe universities such as sunderland metropolitan or exeter college for higher education (I made them up but you get the idea). The guys graduating from Oxbridge, Imperial, Manchester, UCL, Birmingham (and all the other red brick unis) won't be having a problem getting a job.
                    Last edited by NorthWestPerm2Contr; 10 January 2012, 13:04.

Comment

There is a difference between computer science and IT for business, in the same way there is a difference between physics and engineering.
                      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                      X