• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie or Bye, what would you do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post

ClientCo are bringing in a max contractor tenure of 12 months down from 36, then Permie or leave. ...
    Can't you just come to an arrangement to leave for a week or two, and then rejoin starting a new tenure?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

See if you can ascertain why they have a limited tenure for Tractors.

If it is just "company policy" then there is not much you can do other than pointing out the stupidity of turfing out your knowledge base every 12 months and wasting months training the new batch or having to maintain a team large enough to cope when there is a surge in demand.

If it is a genuine worry about temporary workers legislation the you can educate them into using best practice for hiring contractors. Point out that when done properly there are no issues for either the client or the contractor.
      Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

I would go permie for 200 x my day rate. Take it or leave it.

Oh yeah, and I'm not putting up with any of that APR bollocks either.
        Last edited by doodab; 26 January 2012, 12:57.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Jump to permie if it's good enough.

If(like me) you wanted to move. I went cynically perm with a 6 figure salary(with bonus) so I could borrow shed loads from the bank. All I needed was 3 months worth of wage slips as opposed to 3 years worth of accounts(and the twunts take your gross salary). Landed up doing two years before contracting again for the last 2.5.
          Good advice to go permie if you need/want another house. If you work for bank X, then go to bank Y for mortgage, with employers staff mortgage as benchmark! If you loose your job you loose your staff mortgage. Plus bank Y really work at it, once you convince them it is for real.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Can't you just come to an arrangement to leave for a week or two, and then rejoin starting a new tenure?
            6 months is the required period.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
              See if you can ascertain why they have a limited tenure for Tractors.

If it is just "company policy" then there is not much you can do other than pointing out the stupidity of turfing out your knowledge base every 12 months and wasting months training the new batch or having to maintain a team large enough to cope when there is a surge in demand.

If it is a genuine worry about temporary workers legislation the you can educate them into using best practice for hiring contractors. Point out that when done properly there are no issues for either the client or the contractor.
              WABS, its all very good saying no contractors but the minute some project comes up that urgently requires a non in house skill, its either:

1) get someone sorted this week,3 months time get rid
              2) spend 2 months advertising, interviewing, second interview HR paperwork, 3 month project then find them something else to do for the rest of their working life or redundacy payment.

there will always be a place for the contractor

Comment

Update

Spoke to my sponsoring manager's boss today, and asked if he, being slightly further up the ladder, had anymore insight into my renewal or not as the case maybe, what with this new 12 month max policy for contractors being introduced.

He said that he had gone through his list of contractors and there were only a few that he could be bothered to put any effort into keeping, and I was one of them. Then he started going on about how the role I perform will probably be needed for a couple of years or more.

All words so far, waiting on the paperwork/emails to confirm the decision.

Told him that I'm only 5 weeks from end of contract and need to get this sorted asap.

Still looking and a few fingers in pies, but as is always said a bird in the hand.....
                Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                  Spoke to my sponsoring manager's boss today, and asked if he, being slightly further up the ladder, had anymore insight into my renewal or not as the case maybe, what with this new 12 month max policy for contractors being introduced.

He said that he had gone through his list of contractors and there were only a few that he could be bothered to put any effort into keeping, and I was one of them. Then he started going on about how the role I perform will probably be needed for a couple of years or more.

All words so far, waiting on the paperwork/emails to confirm the decision.

Told him that I'm only 5 weeks from end of contract and need to get this sorted asap.

Still looking and a few fingers in pies, but as is always said a bird in the hand.....
                  Sounds quite promising anyway. Good luck with it.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Currently docked in perm harbour.

Nice easy life, no complaints, lots of WFH.

My boss got sacked a while ago.

Even managed to get my nads checked out by Bupa for free. Which was nice.

Comment

They'd never take me alive.

This one time a line manager walks up to me in a hush hush like way and ask's if I would consider a full time position. An uncontrollable laugh that only sounded worse as I tried to hold back my expression give my answer sure enough. The contract was not renewed.

A year and half later they're on the phone direct asking me to come back for a 12 monther at least.
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X