• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

1967 Austin Morris Traveller

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Kudos for helping get it working and all that. But I've never understood why people want to restore those dreary, ugly-looking, tiny, grossly underpowered and unreliable 50s and 60s cars when they could just as well be doing the same with an old Bentley or sports car instead.
    Principally it's cost. And complexity. It's relatively easy to get parts for a massed produced car and these have fairly simple 4 cylinder OHV engines that were used in a huge range of cars including the mini. They are also pretty easy to work on, they had to be because back in the day local garages wouldn't have been that sophisticated and a lot of people would DIY.

I'd like to do something like a Lancia Beta or Alfa GTV.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post

...I'd like to do something like a Lancia Beta ....
      That would be the ultimate full body restoration project then. They bought back and scrapped the ones that hadn't rusted away already.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        That would be the ultimate full body restoration project then. They bought back and scrapped the ones that hadn't rusted away already.
        Yes, I think most of the surviving ones have been restored already.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          Principally it's cost. And complexity. It's relatively easy to get parts for a massed produced car and these have fairly simple 4 cylinder OHV engines that were used in a huge range of cars including the mini. They are also pretty easy to work on, they had to be because back in the day local garages wouldn't have been that sophisticated and a lot of people would DIY.

I'd like to do something like a Lancia Beta or Alfa GTV.
          Dood, is there any subject you're not expert in?
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            Dood, is there any subject you're not expert in?
            Yes. There are several.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              Ah, you had me confused with the thread title.

Those are Morris Minor Travellers.

This is an Austin Mini Traveller:

Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                Charm? It looks like a garden shed on wheels, and probably drives like one.

And worse still, I bet the engine sounds like a Chieftain tank even in normal driving.
                I had one back in the seventies. Somewhat surprisingly it got me through a bad winter - I never once got stuck in the snow with it.

The bicycle like narrow tyres got surprisingly good traction in the snow,

A couple of hundred weight of paving slabs and bags of sand in the back helped too,

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  Actaully the old Moggies were quite a hoot to drive once you put on some decent tyres. Never do more than 70, but you had to work at it. I also use to thash my mate's one many years ago; went quite well with the Broadspeed full race 1600 motor in it...

Then again there's a traveller down here from Charlie Ware's old place, slightly upgraded to have brakes, five-speed box and a few other things (such as a rather bigger motor), reputedly does 140 in a straight line and corners to suit.
                  I heard a tale that the Manchester police got sick of trying to chase villains in their standard issue Moggies so put a Rover V8 into one.

The Moggie is also a favourite of Tiff Needle Tiff Needell Sliding The Morris 1000

Comment

Working...
                  X