• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

double glazing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
    These clowns have been around to give me a quote too. F-ing Safestyle UK

"It's £20,000 but if you sign up today, with a discount...£5000"...
    they will be calling every month for ever now too.

with regards to quotes it can be as detailed by others anything from £15k discounted to £7,500 prob with everest to £7.500 discounted to £2000 with safe style... but you have to sign up today...lol tell them if the price is good today you will offer it to me again or I won't take it. they will always do the deal.

Comment

As with any major outlay, get three quotes from reputable companies, then play one off against the others to get the best deal.
      The vegetarian option.

Comment

Double glazing is normally a false economy. It's real benefits are sound insulation. If you're looking to save on energy bills then heavy curtains are far better idea. Also, uPVC is a rather nasty material.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          Windows? In Liverpool?

I rather like terrace houses. I bet what these get replaced with won't see out 100 years plus. Oddly it seems to the left that get most upset by such Victorian housing. Urban Splash had a good go at restoring such stock:

Chimney Pot Park, Salford - project information | Urban Splash

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            cheers folks. looks like 3k ish then.
            the daughter in law was talking 5k, looks like she got ripped

heard a lot of bad vibes about safe style
            the thing with windows is you have to wait for them to be leaving your house, they then have to phone their boss to tell him he is leaving without a sale, the boss then makes the final final final offer...

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
              I rather like terrace houses. I bet what these get replaced with won't see out 100 years plus. Oddly it seems to the left that get most upset by such Victorian housing. Urban Splash had a good go at restoring such stock:

Chimney Pot Park, Salford - project information | Urban Splash
              Yep, there are lots of very nice Victorian era buildings in Liverpool, surprisingly enough quite a lot in Toxteth. Shame they're all boarded up.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Put it out on Rated People and you'll get people round to quote you...the benefit being that you get to see quotes of others who have used them in the past. I used them to have our front door replaced and the guy I got through them was really good. One bloke did turn up and tried to get me to replace all the doors and windows, but one of the others just pointed out how he was talking rubbish.
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I cannot believe that people still fall for the "if you sign today" "I will call my manager to get a discount" " we need to hit this months target so am doing you a favour with a discount", " i will discount it if we can put a board outside your house"

I was talking to a DG saleman from a small local company last week and he said it realy difficult to get people to use a local company they just go straight to the big boys cos they think their getting a better product when in reality they all come from the same factory.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    The missus wants new windows.

We have 10 , differnets sizes, plus a door that need doing.

Anyone offer any sensible advice ? and how much am I looking at?

Nothing like vague requirements...get a few quotes and haggle loads - rule of thumb I believe is 50% of any initial quote for dg is a realistic and acceptable figure.

Comment

FFS, don't go saying you have 10 windows, HRMC will want to bring back the glass tax.

Comment

Working...
                      X