• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Most beautiful machine ever?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Is it too many pot noodles :
    No such thing as too many pot noodles
    Me, me, me...

Comment

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          The spitfire is a good candidate.

Did you Know ?
          sorry but military history is my speciality

did you know that the Germans captured a few spits. just as we captured a few messerschmitts.They flew them, and we flew theirs, then they evaluated them and worked out the best way to bring them down.
          They had the captured spits painted up in German livery, and occasionally had them painted back, in RAF livery to make propoganda film of them being valiantly defeated by the luftwaffe.
          Just as we had captured planes being shot down by 'the few' on film.
          (im not saying all the footage was fake, just some of it).

The point of all this, is that there were top pilots who flew both aircraft. So if the battle of Britain was won by superior command and control, intelligence and luck, and the spitfire was not actually that much good, these blokes would know.
          And their message was clear, the RAF and the luftwaffe pilots who flew both planes said the spitfire was by far the better plane for dogfighting. due to a thousand little design advantages

I read somewhere that messerschmitts had slightly better turning performance than spits, but by an accidental design quirk the latter started juddering when their limits were about to be reached and that let their pilots take them close to the limit. But lacking any similar indication, messerschmitts couldn't, and many German pilots were killed trying and exceeding its limit.

If that makes sense
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            I read somewhere that messerschmitts had slightly better turning performance than spits, but by an accidental design quirk the latter started juddering when their limits were about to be reached and that let their pilots take them close to the limit. But lacking any similar indication, messerschmitts couldn't, and many German pilots were killed trying and exceeding its limit.

If that makes sense
            this will make CH hair curl

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I think the shuttle and concord are both remarkable but I wouldn't say either is especially beautiful. Even the spitfire I feel is pretty but not beautiful, though I'm sure that's not a popular view.

I shall have to think on what I would nominate, mind's gone blank. I do think the Team Phillips catamaran was pretty lovely:

Except:
              a)does it count as a machine
              b)it sunk
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Don't know about beautiful but this is pretty incredible (found via QI):

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                  X