• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fire!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get some newspaper, roll into tubes, tie tube in a kind of knot. Put these under some small logs/twiggy stuff and apply a match. Add bigger bits of wood as per EO's post.

Can't remember how much of a Northerner you are , but if you have a chip pan put a dollop of fat on the newspaper knots.
    Enjoy, you lucky person.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
      The chimney has been swept, if that's what you're referring to.

ehhm. what do I say...

Soot builds up on inside of the chimney over time and can itself combust, when the fireplace has dried out over time this can lead to more problems with lighting a new fire.

doodab was asking the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        Get some newspaper, roll into tubes, tie tube in a kind of knot. Put these under some small logs/twiggy stuff and apply a match. Add bigger bits of wood as per EO's post.
        Yep. Rolling a double sheet diagonally is the best.

Investing in a kitchen sized box of Swan Vestas is a good idea, if they are still available.

A gas poker is another solution. We had a gas outlet by each fireplace when I were a lad, just for lighting the fire. I suppose it was a posh house to have that.

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        Can't remember how much of a Northerner you are , but if you have a chip pan put a dollop of fat on the newspaper knots.
        Enjoy, you lucky person.
        Never heard of the fat thing but it would work. Once the fire is lit, old chop or chicken bones burn well. Less rubbish to chuck.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Ok people. Help me out here. I have a lovely open fireplace here, and I'm cold. I have tons of wood (apparently 'seasoned')outside my front door, and some coal. But I have no idea how to light a fire....?
          I thought this was a thread about you burning to death
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            Have you had your chimney swept recently?
            Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            Unused fireplace...

Chimney fire.

That is all.
            I can not stress how important this point is.

If there is debris it could catch light but be a slow burn that doesn't destroy your house until later in the night when you are asleep.

My parents always get a sweep to clear things out once a year in the autumn before they start using the fire. After that it does get used all day, every day through the winter.

On the original question, they usually use Firelighters to get the fire burning, although some tightly rolled-up newspapers will do the job.
            Last edited by Gonzo; 10 November 2012, 05:40. Reason: Forgot the OP!

Comment

Build fire.
              Light cigarette.
              Get cigarette glowing nicely, place on top of the fire.
              Pour on liquid oxygen.

(Note, always add lox to the ignition source - never the other way round, unless you like really big bangs).
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Invite a boy scout in for bob-a-job.

Comment

The chimney has been swept, if that's what you're referring to.
                  Also, is the chimney or flue shaped for wood or coal?

I was amazed to learn it can make a difference, and some chimneys are suitable only for one or the other.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    Invite a boy scout in for bob-a-job.
                    That's another way for the ladies to keep warm I suppose...
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                      Have you had your chimney swept recently?

Comment

Working...
                      X