• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Writers Block

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Always write about something you have first hand experience of.

How about a delusional misfit that's been diagnosed with excessive syndrome .. ?
    Well he admits he has been polishing it non-stop
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Well I was only exagerrating when I said I'd only completed the first sentence of my putative book. I've recently written the first chapter. But being a perfectionist, I keep polishing and changing.
      Maybe I'm trying too hard - I don't want to create great literature, just a formulaic commercial phenomenon that makes me filthy rich.

The plot involves a police inspector in an unnamed sleep, tropical paradise who gets involved in a drugs and prostitution network run by the Albanian mafia in concert with local crooks. And so on....But the pace would be suitably sleepy, charming, whimiscal and positive, more Mme Ramotswe than Jack Reacher.

maybe I need to research a sleepy troipical paradise - get a feel for it...
      Don't keep changing the first chapter.

Get on with writing the book, and only go back and change earlier chapters if your plot development demands it. As for polishing, do that at the end. A decent editor can help you there.

I assume you've planned the whole storyline, especially the ending?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        I assume you've planned the whole storyline, especially the ending?
        I have an outline yes.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

sounds like one of those books that once you put it down you cant pick it up

Because it contains so much muck it sticks to the floor.

Comment

Well I was only exagerrating when I said I'd only completed the first sentence of my putative book. I've recently written the first chapter. But being a perfectionist, I keep polishing and changing.
            Maybe I'm trying too hard - I don't want to create great literature, just a formulaic commercial phenomenon that makes me filthy rich.

The plot involves a police inspector in an unnamed sleep, tropical paradise who gets involved in a drugs and prostitution network run by the Albanian mafia in concert with local crooks. And so on....But the pace would be suitably sleepy, charming, whimiscal and positive, more Mme Ramotswe than Jack Reacher.

maybe I need to research a sleepy troipical paradise - get a feel for it...
            Sounds a bit like the series on the BBC a couple of months ago - Death in Paradise and for that reason I'm out

Comment

I have an outline yes.
              Then just write your story! This is the enjoyable part, so enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Always write about something you have first hand experience of.
                He is... although I hadn't realised he'd retired from being an Albanian prostitute.
                If at first you don't succeed... skydiving is not for you!

Comment

I had a piece I wrote for the late lamented Bolton Wanderers Fanzine 'Tripe 'n' Trotters' read out on Baddiel and Skinners 'Unplanned' - having a go at WBA with special reference to the Second Gulf War going on the time, Baddiel read it out live despite the team insisting on no football references being mentioned, but I saw it and heard it abd he did mention the 'clause' and read it anyway with an 'I know we're not supposed to mention football, but....'

Now, I've got all eps of Unplanned, not watched them all so I can't say, but I can't find it, so either:

1: I can't haven't found it yet and will have to keep looking

2: it was cut from DVD version.

3: It never happened.

Thinking 3: at moment....

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigD View Post
                    He is... although I hadn't realised he'd retired from being an Albanian prostitute.
                    He's turned amateur.
                    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
                      He's turned amateur.
                      Does that mean he's got his virginity back?

Comment

Working...
                      X