• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Musicians on CUK?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBG plays keyboard, I brought a lap harp & read the “how to teach yourself to play” it makes a nice ornament now
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Comment

Got lessons on snare drum from when I was 11, progressed into a pretty damn fine kit player by the time I was 20, still got a bit of the magic but you have to be playing 6 hours a day to master an instrument and I don't have the time any more.

I have a good grasp of musical theory and can work out some decent stuff on the piano but don't have the ability to actually play it well, same with the guitar.

Piano and drums are totally different, drums you just have to play and play the same thing over and over again, rudiments in a wax on wax off style. left right left left, right left right right. Do that and the rudiment variances for 10 years and you get good.

Piano to me is about getting chords sounding good "let's take that chord, drop the root on the right, play the 7th & 11th with the left, don't sound good, hit the 9th, na, drop the 3rd out on the right, OK got it, which chord do I move to now..." and it all starts again. Complicated.
      Last edited by minestrone; 20 November 2012, 19:46.

Comment

Violin ...
        Last edited by mos; 20 November 2012, 21:27.
        If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

I'd love to play electric guitar and drums but I'm put off the former by all the crap you seem to need... amps and pre-amps and pedals and so on... and I just don't seem able to keep a rhythm with my foot while doing stuff with my hands.

Maybe I'll stick with acoustic and take up bongos, far more Christian I do have a rainbow guitar strap on my 12-string
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Played in a rock-pop covers band for 10 years (pubs, clubs, weddings, bar mitzvahs). Play guitar, bass and some keys.

Fender Strat USA Plus Deluxe, Fender Jazz bass.

Hey! We've got a CUK band!
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Kazoo, professional level.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Kazoo, professional level.
                I thought you were grade 8 at the one string bass?
                "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

This is CUK?
                  Nobody has attempted a smutty joke about playing the oboe.

Standards are slipping
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by RasputinDude View Post
                    So Wembley or the Albert Hall next?
                    Played the Albert Hall twice. Too many other big venues to mention and I won't get started on name dropping.

Two A list movie scores (part of), that I guarantee you've heard.

No need for a Plan B
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                      This is CUK?
                      Nobody has attempted a smutty joke about playing the oboe.

Standards are slipping
                      love oboe
                      If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

Working...
                      X