• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Too old at 35.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    Apparently there's a shortage of ancient techies like me wot knows about the elecktrickery side of all this stuff.

Which might explain the endless series of contract notifications that end up in my email.
    My son has recently started University here studying Informatik (Computer Studies?) and I've been looking, and attempting to help, at his coursework and there's quite a fair bit of that in it. How computers, chips, components, etc are built and the finer details. Got me quite sentimental at some points
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Tried introducing the Esteemed Customers to the finer details of stuff like that but they all fell asleep.

Now all they get is the coarser details.

They still fall asleep though.

I'm trying to find the commonality in the falling asleep, but I can't quite put my claw on it at the moment.

And some of them still can't understand breadboards.

Maybe they're just thick.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Don't forget the average life expectancy of someone from birth in India is 65 he could be right, they are half dead by then.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I couldn't possibly comment.

The breadboard thing really frustrates me because I can't for the life of me understand what the problem is.
          Isn't a breadboard a kind of 'lego for sparkies' that allows you to test a circuit before building the real one, then rebuild easily if it doesn't work?

Seems pretty simple to me.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
            In Europe people don't have the jobs for life mentality anymore, and continue to up-skill all the time.
            I think you are looking at a very narrow area such as your own field and thinking this is representative of everyone.

Most people I know outside of IT certainty arent up-skilling ever.

Comment

I've only got 5 more years until I can retire then. Nice.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
                I think you are looking at a very narrow area such as your own field and thinking this is representative of everyone.

Most people I know outside of IT certainty arent up-skilling ever.
                What job do they do?

If they are in certain non-IT career paths they are as they have no choice.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I wrote a macro in excel vba today. Get a 20 year old graddie to do that
                  Last edited by doodab; 20 November 2012, 22:05. Reason: can't work the interweb properly
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    I've only got 5 more years until I can retire then. Nice.
                    Or anywhere in the South of France really.

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    I wrote a macro in excel vba today. Get a 20 year old graddie to do that
                    That would be tricky, since most don't graduate until 21 or over. If I need an excel VBA macro though, I'd normally get some young grad to do it.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      Or anywhere in the South of France really.

That would be tricky, since most don't graduate until 21 or over. If I need an excel VBA macro though, I'd normally get some young grad to do it.
                      I was in a room today with a group of about 5 mid 20 somethings when one pulled up his super complex spreadsheet full of formulas & presented it to the assembled room of his peers. WoW! Incredible! The expletives of this young guys business model from his peers was incredible.

"I'm stuck on one thing" he said and proceeded to explain to the other 5 fast trackers in the company what he couldnt do. I wasn't paying that much attention & eventually one asked me to have a look. I leant forward, had a look and hit Alt-F11 to knock up VBA.

It was like Jesus had come down to earth in a space ship and ridden out on a dinosaur.

"You're all fookin kidding me, right?"

None of them even knew it existed.
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X