• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax Hell: 73% rates cripple UK families, killing 'aspiration nation'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It certainly needs to be pointed out to far too many that the tax they pay is not limited to what they see on their payslip. VAT, fuel duty, VAT, council tax, higher prices due to corporation tax and business rates. That figure would not surprise me at all, I did a back of envelope calculation once and came up with a figure of 60pc+.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      So men shagging women and buggering off without contributing to the support of the resultant child aren't the problem?

Is it only the men who shag and bugger off ? or are there women who get rid of husbands because they can then claim benefits and dont depend financially on the man ?
      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
        Is it only the men who shag and bugger off ? or are there women who get rid of husbands because they can then claim benefits and dont depend financially on the man ?
        This. And, well, there are usually two people involved in every break-up. It's never just down to one person.

Comment

Originally posted by formant View Post
          Those men can be chased and made to pay through the CSA.

For every one of those men there are probably two who are denied access to their children by bitter, devious, and greedy mothers. Cause, you know, sometimes those men bugger off for a reason, which may just be that the mother wasn't half as decent a human being as she'd like to pretend.
          Assuming they're working in the first place...

Comment

Is it only the men who shag and bugger off ?
            Of course not. But my point is that blaming all society's problems on single mothers is rather ignoring the fact that it takes two to bring a child into the world.

or are there women who get rid of husbands because they can then claim benefits and dont depend financially on the man ?
            Seriously? Maybe there are, but it seems an unlikely reason for divorce in an otherwise stable relationship.

Comment

Assuming they're working in the first place...
              Yeah, well maybe shagging the unemployed or unemployable isn't such a great idea in the first place.

I don't think anyone should be bringing children into this world if they can't afford to raise them on their own.

Apart from the fact that the most effective methods of contraception are only available to women, women are also usually the ones who have the opportunity to terminate an existing unwanted pregnancy. If they get all mushy and hormonal about it and have a child the guy probably never wanted in the first place, I personally don't think they're entitled to any child support.

Men have a lot less influence on whether they end up with an unplanned/unwanted child or not.
              Last edited by formant; 1 January 2013, 12:54.

Comment

Yeah, well maybe shagging the unemployed or unemployable isn't such a great idea in the first place.

I don't think anyone should be bringing children into this world if they can't afford to raise them on their own.

Apart from the fact that the most effective methods of contraception are only available to women, women are also usually the ones who have the opportunity to terminate an existing unwanted pregnancy. If they get all mushy and hormonal about it and have a child the guy probably never wanted in the first place, I personally don't think they're entitled to any child support.

Men have a lot less influence on whether they end up with an unplanned/unwanted child or not.
                A condom used correctly is almost 100% effective - I think the official figure is 98%, but doubtless includes many people who don't use as instructed. Agreed that in the tiny number of cases where correctly used contraception fails, the man has no choice about the eventual outcome, but he is just as capable of insuring that the conception never happens in the first place.

Comment

A condom used correctly is almost 100% effective - I think the official figure is 98%, but doubtless includes many people who don't use as instructed. Agreed that in the tiny number of cases where correctly used contraception fails, the man has no choice about the eventual outcome, but he is just as capable of insuring that the conception never happens in the first place.
                  Wow, that's one (pretty uncomfortable) option, compared to various, much more effective ones for women. Factor into that those couples who mutually agree not to use condoms, while the woman is on something homonal. There you go, all contraceptive powers transferred to the female, who may of course miss a pill here and there, maybe on purpose, maybe by accident, maybe by sheer neglect. If you now advise against the concept of trust, yeah, then it's probably still all the guy's fault...

Of course even then, men still don't have the option to terminate an existing unplanned pregnancy.

Women have a hell of a lot more choice in reproduction than men do.
                  Last edited by formant; 1 January 2013, 13:11.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    The 40% tax band at 32k is sign that it is all over for this country.
                    There's a lot of truth in that
                    Not much truth. It's £42K.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Wow, that's one (pretty uncomfortable) option, compared to various, much more effective ones for women. Factor into that those couples who mutually agree not to use condoms, while the woman is on something homonal. There you go, all contraceptive powers transferred to the female, who may of course miss a pill here and there, maybe on purpose, maybe by accident, maybe by sheer neglect. If you now advise against the concept of trust, yeah, then it's probably still all the guy's fault...

Of course even then, men still don't have the option to terminate an existing unplanned pregnancy.

Women have a hell of a lot more choice in reproduction than men do.
                      Of course it's not 'all the guy's fault'. But the standard rhetoric seems to be that it's 'all the woman's fault', which is equally ridiculous.

Blaming societies ills on 'single mothers' is absolving the man of any responsibility in the process.

I suspect that the majority of the children of single parents are either a) conceived whilst in a stable relationship with both partners complicit in bringing the child into the world or b) conceived within a casual relationship where neither partner particularly bothered with ensuring effective contraceptive was used.

Comment

Working...
                      X