• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Waste disposal rant....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Same in Kent ... they are now trying to stop pickups & vehicles with large trailers using the tip ... seen numerous shouting matches & noticed one of the imported Gurkhas now in charge of the front gate
    It's called a weight bridge.

If you have one of those as well as the free tip then you can direct people who you think are builders to those and charge them £80 or whatever.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

No charges at the council dumps here and nobody to inspect your rubbish but they do expect you to sort it before chucking into the various skips.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        It's called a weight bridge.

If you have one of those as well as the free tip then you can direct people who you think are builders to those and charge them £80 or whatever.
        Weighbridge in my day young lady...
        The trouble is they think everyone who has a pick-up is a builder
        My next vehicle when my 4x4 dies will probably be a pick-up

I am not a builder
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
          The trouble is they think everyone who has a pick-up is a builder
          My next vehicle when my 4x4 dies will probably be a pick-up

I am not a builder
          I had that years ago when I rented a Transit van to move house. I took what I didn't want to the tip and they assumed it was a commercial house clearance, so sent me to another tip.

The lot at the other tip told me I wouldn't make it through the mud, so sent me back to tip 1.

Told them it was personal rubbish and that that Jim or Fred or whoever from tip 2 had sent me and they were OK.
          Last edited by Sysman; 4 February 2013, 20:28.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Somerset and plasterboard, recycling, sites and fly-tipping

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
            I had that years ago when I rented a Transit van to move house. I took what I didn't want to the tip and they assumed it was a commercial house clearance, so sent me to another tip.

The lot at the other tip told me I wouldn't make it through the mud, so sent me back to tip 1.

Told them it was personal rubbish and that that Jim or Fred or whoever from tip 2 had sent me and they were OK.

Wurzel and others ...

To save time, money and CO2, a simple quick check at Somerset Waste Partnership's website Somerset Waste Partnership | Somerset Waste Partnership will show what 30+ materials householders - not businesses - can deposit at Somerset's 18 household recycling sites.

SWP website information includes which nine sites take plasterboard (Bridgwater, Chard, Crewkerne, Frome, Highbridge, Street, Taunton, Williton and Yeovil), what times they all open, what non-household items (rubble, soil, gas bottles, tyres) have charges starting at £2.90, and which four sites (Coleford, Crewkerne, Dulverton and Middlezoy) have entry fees to (as requested by local communities) prevent them from closing.

The website also explains why plasterboard cannot be deposited into landfill: "Plasterboard was banned from general landfill in 2009, as it breaksdown to produce toxic and odorous gas."

Website has section on business waste: www.somersetwaste.gov.uk/business/

And for those without net access, contacting Somerset Direct by phone or email on 0845 3459188 or [email protected] will produce the same information and further advice.

Fly-tipping is a blot on Somerset’s lovely landscape, a burden on tax-payers, a potential threat to health, and an environmental crime.

Fly-tippers face fines of up to £50,000 in magistrates’ courts, unlimited fines in higher courts, and community punishment orders or prison sentences of up to five years.

Whether it is businesses cutting costs by discarding rubbish or criminals pretending to offer a waste disposal service, there is no excuse for fly-tipping.

Anyone with information about an incident of fly-tipping in Somerset should contact the district council. For more on fly-tipping, including distric council contacts, check here: How to fight fly-tipping | Somerset Waste Partnership

Hope this helps.

Comment

Just drive around until you see a skip somewhere on the side of the road and reef your stuff in it. Sorted.

Or bag it in small bits in a black bag and stick it in the household rubbish.
              Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by NickCaterSWP View Post
                Wurzel and others ...

To save time, money and CO2, a simple quick check at Somerset Waste Partnership's website Somerset Waste Partnership | Somerset Waste Partnership will show what 30+ materials householders - not businesses - can deposit at Somerset's 18 household recycling sites.

SWP website information includes which nine sites take plasterboard (Bridgwater, Chard, Crewkerne, Frome, Highbridge, Street, Taunton, Williton and Yeovil), what times they all open, what non-household items (rubble, soil, gas bottles, tyres) have charges starting at £2.90, and which four sites (Coleford, Crewkerne, Dulverton and Middlezoy) have entry fees to (as requested by local communities) prevent them from closing.

The website also explains why plasterboard cannot be deposited into landfill: "Plasterboard was banned from general landfill in 2009, as it breaksdown to produce toxic and odorous gas."

Website has section on business waste: Business Recycling and Waste Advice | Somerset Waste Partnership

And for those without net access, contacting Somerset Direct by phone or email on 0845 3459188 or [email protected] will produce the same information and further advice.

Fly-tipping is a blot on Somerset’s lovely landscape, a burden on tax-payers, a potential threat to health, and an environmental crime.

Fly-tippers face fines of up to £50,000 in magistrates’ courts, unlimited fines in higher courts, and community punishment orders or prison sentences of up to five years.

Whether it is businesses cutting costs by discarding rubbish or criminals pretending to offer a waste disposal service, there is no excuse for fly-tipping.

Anyone with information about an incident of fly-tipping in Somerset should contact the district council. For more on fly-tipping, including distric council contacts, check here: How to fight fly-tipping | Somerset Waste Partnership

Hope this helps.
                Very helpful, but Is that a random google or big brother?

I was about to say something about waste, but I'll keep it to myself. I'm a confirmed eco worrier petrol head so do like to recycle. My next project is to get an old Audi TT and turn it into a race car. Beats buying a brand new one and it will be a lot lighter than standard so better fuel economy. The tuning will also help with that. Once electric motors get cheap enough I'll rip out the V6 and turn it into a CHP for the house .

If you have spare plaster, how about turning it in mush and then making a sculpture in the garden? Stick a FOR SALE price tag of £1,500 on it, and someone will come and nick it for you. Problem sorted.
                Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

You think plasterboard is hard to get rid of?

It took me ages to dump the asbestos that lined the garden lean-to. To be fair to them, they didn't charge me once I'd triple bagged it all, had it weighed and graded, proved my address with three forms of identity and signed a sheet stating that there was no more at my address.
                  England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

what can I say, CUK slogan should be 'It takes all sorts to sort it'. We moan about tipping and we get an authorative answer, same for medical queries.

All we need is for AssGuru to ask about cranial penis removal and some of the world's problems will be solved.

Have to say in Slough they are pretty good but my nearest tip is in Bucks so I tip tax free! I wonder if I can get a refund on my council tax.

Chalvey tip they charge if you go over x dumps of a certain type in a month. pain really if you tackle a big job you can go through a few loads.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

But they didn't suggest how to get rid of the bloody stuff legally, did they?

Thanks for nothing...
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X