• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie irritations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Mudflapper is suggesting that you're arrogant? Do you think you're arrogant? Mmm. Tell me about your mother.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      So Mudflapper is suggesting that you're arrogant? Do you think you're arrogant? Mmm. Tell me about your mother.
      No, I'm obstinate. I get that from my mother. In fact everybody in my family, including Lady Tester, can be quite obstinate. You have to be obstinate around us lot otherwise you will be walked all over. None of us have much patience for wimps.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        I'm not sure thats the issue because

so he's already doing that. Could it be that he's doing B when some people actually want A so it appears to be condescending while its not meant to be.

To be honest Mitch is on to a losing battle here. Unless they say what the actual problem is how do you go and fix it.
        It's not the speed of imparting the information, it's the manner. I guess what I'm getting at is more self-awareness of how he comes across - and try and make things more of a discussion (including the listening bit), than a "this is what you must do". Play the game - ask them stuff you know they'll know, then you come across as less of a know-it-all and make them feel better about their own knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          It's not the speed of imparting the information, it's the manner. I guess what I'm getting at is more self-awareness of how he comes across - and try and make things more of a discussion (including the listening bit), than a "this is what you must do". Play the game - ask them stuff you know they'll know, then you come across as less of a know-it-all and make them feel better about their own knowledge.
          Some of it might me a cultural difference; I grew up in the UK, West Africa and Switzerland in what Hofstede calls masculine cultures where the stiff upper lip and a level of self confidence are highly valued. NL is in his analysis a feminine culture where sensitivity, consensus and hairgel are popular among men.

Hofstede's cultural dimensions theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            Some of it might me a cultural difference; I grew up in the UK, West Africa and Switzerland in what Hofstede calls masculine cultures where the stiff upper lip and a level of self confidence are highly valued. NL is in his analysis a feminine culture where sensitivity, consensus and hairgel are popular among men.

Hofstede's cultural dimensions theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
            So you've identified the problem. Now act upon it!

Comment

What? Buy a flowery dress?

Comment

Yes he's aloof and bloody rude. Frankly I'd go contracting.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  Sounds great.

WHY do people waste big chunks of their lives complaining about things that are completely irrelevant to the job in hand, like other people's clothing, manner of speech etc? What's going on in their tiny little lives? Is there really NOTHING more important to worry about?
                  Because they're ******* morons. I get this still and just tune out and do my job although I have been known in meetings to either get up and walk out when it turns irrelevant or point out that they're talking crap.
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Are you sure you are cut out for permie dom?
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                      Are you sure you are cut out for permie dom?
                      My doubts are growing by the day.

Comment

Working...
                      X