• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Travel insurance to US

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    I know, but last year I accidentally took my Swiss army knife on flights through LHR and CDG. The diet coke was confiscated (twice) but the knife made it through.
    Yeah, I used to carry a small Swiss Army knife on my keyring because it was handy for cutting off luggage labels. Can't do that now
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
      I have always found Atlas Insurance to be competitive and their administration competent.

Never had the need to make a claim so can't comment on that aspect of their service.
      That's who I used in the end. For my daughter (non UK resident), I just needed to up her health insurance - everything else is already covered by various insurances we already hold. The health insurance top-up (to cover above our own insurer's limit of $2 million), was ~£10. For the year.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

One consideration is the single item limit, which is typically less than £500 and might not be enough if you've got an expensive laptop. Business equipment insurance would typically cover one

I just bought insurance with Columbus who have taken over Travel Insurance Web Has Closed who were mentioned near the start of this thread

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
          I just read the other day about a Yank who needed an expensive operation that he wasn't completely covered for, with the result that the hospital will get his house when he pops his clogs.
          The irony being that the better the job they did - the longer they will have to wait until they get their mitts on his house.

Not an isolated story though - medical bills are the biggest reason for bankruptcy in the US, bigger than mortgage and/or credit card bills.

Comment

Working...
          X