• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone watching Horizon?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ta for the tip, iPlayer here I come

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Explaining Big Data tonight.

Fascinating. I wish I was smart enough to be a Quant...
      Very interesting.

I've heard a few people say sasguru is a bit of a quant?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Very interesting.

I've heard a few people say sasguru is a bit of a quant?
        Think you're mixing that up with his ancient European title. I'm sure people call him a 'count' quite regularly
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
          Think you're mixing that up with his ancient European title. I'm sure people call him a 'count' quite regularly
          He does enjoy country life.

Comment

I wish I was smart enough to be a Quant...
            According to the IQ tests I'm smart enough to be a quant. Trouble is, I'm also stupid enough to have chosen to study something other than maths.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Humility came up in the programme, now that's one attribute that won't familiar to Sas.
              I am actually quite humble, but don't see the need to pretend to be an imbecile in order to fit in with some on here.

The program was quite well done I thought.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Explaining Big Data tonight.

Fascinating. I wish I was smart enough to be a Quant...
                Just learn Math, pretty easy if you are a programmer and can think abstractly.

Comment

I work with quants. Quant do this, quant do that, quant do ******* anything. Useless bunch of quants!
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by proggy View Post
                    Just learn Math, pretty easy if you are a programmer and can think abstractly.
                    Many (most?) programmers are simply hackers who work by trial and error and rule of thumb.
                    These types of programmers are very poor at thinking abstractly; in fact I would go so far as to say they are worse than average, since they only see things in black-and-white (I was going to say binary but that wouldn't be quite right either) terms.
                    Plenty of examples on this forum.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      Many (most?) programmers are simply hackers who work by trial and error and rule of thumb.
                      These types of programmers are very poor at thinking abstractly; in fact I would go so far as to say they are worse than average, since they only see things in black-and-white (I was going to say binary but that wouldn't be quite right either) terms.
                      Plenty of examples on this forum.
                      True, many programmers couldn't tell you what big O notation is, and have no idea how their "algorithms" might perform on different inputs.

Comment

Working...
                      X