• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Right to die, how does CUK vote?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    Because I lost both my Mother and my first Greyhound to cancer.
    Well that's pretty horrific but on the other hand if your mother was a horse she'd have been shot if she'd broken her leg. If she was a dog she would have been spayed as a baby.
    Comparing animals and people isn't really relevant because they're not the same thing.

That doesn't mean I'm saying people like your mother shouldn't have been allowed to ask to be 'put down' by the way, I'm only saying that a comparison isn't valid between people and animals and we're better to focus on the question of how we treat people in isolation.

(and I should point out my father is currently dying of cancer)
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Is this another Thatcher thread?
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
        In principle it’s a sound idea,

My only concern would be for the venerable / vulnerable who could be manipulated in to saying that they want to go (so someone would get an inheritance I fear)
        I would go a little further. There might not be an inheritance, but massive costs that could be avoided.
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          Is this another Thatcher thread?

you supported them yesterday. and tomorrow
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Well that's pretty horrific but on the other hand if your mother was a horse she'd have been shot if she'd broken her leg. If she was a dog she would have been spayed as a baby.
            Comparing animals and people isn't really relevant because they're not the same thing.

That doesn't mean I'm saying people like your mother shouldn't have been allowed to ask to be 'put down' by the way, I'm only saying that a comparison isn't valid between people and animals and we're better to focus on the question of how we treat people in isolation.
            I agree its not a nice subject, and I am not attacking you either for that matter. However I do feel that its very important to understand the true cost of the way we behave today.

I think our choices are made even more stark by the treatment of animals. One should never underestimate the power of a pet. I worked at Petplan for a while early in my career and there were two sides of the business. Pets (dog,cat,rabbit,small things) and equestrian. While you are correct that the Horse side of the business was incredibly pragmatic. (gone lame? I will fetch the 12 gauge) I saw cases of vets accruing several hundred pounds to keep a £25 rabbit alive! Where loved ones and technology exist we often seem to feel that its right to keep on trying all the way down the spiral and that I feel that its time that the narrative was changed to a more healthy pragmatic view.

My account of my mothers demise while horrific is sadly not that uncommon for people that suffer terminal cancers. They grow, spread, then finally overrun their victim and this can be fast or slow depending on age and often the treatments are as bad as the illness. Thats just one way of going! Visit any hospital and you will find someone struggling to understand that this is where they will end their time.

And its that end that we must deal with dignity rather than fear.

Odd that this should pop into my in box while just such a subject is at the top of my mind but:

This came to me this morning. Even the RSPCA know when its time to call it a day despite spending several hundred thousand pounds on court fees last year

So whats the answer do we let the dog die or cough up some contractor cash??

As you know Greyhound Gap try so hard to keep these appeals to a minimum but this time we are desperate for help for Neva a young lurcher bitch in our care who was found tied up overnight with a broken leg in the cold. She was taken to the vets by the RSPCA who requested euthanasia due to costs and this is where Greyhound Gap stepped in. If you can help us either with a donation or sharing the details below via your social networking profiles we would be so greatful. The operation is to take place tomorrow.

This is a direct appeal on behalf of Greyhound Gap

Please can you help us to raise £1500 pound for Neva's second surgery.

Neva's story...Neva is a young lurcher girl who came to us around 3 months ago. She had been found tied out overnight in the cold with a broken leg. The RSPCA were called and Neva was transferred to a vets under her care. When it was found that the vets estimated Neva's costs to be £ 500 they dismissed this as to much and requested euthanasia. Thankfully the vets refused and this is where Greyhound Gap stepped in. We paid for Neva to be operated on and moved after a few days in the vets moved her to foster care.

Sadly yesterday we found out that even though one of the bones had healed well another bone needed further surgery and stabilising with an external fixator. This needs to be done at Rutland House referrals and the cost to us as a rescue will be a further £ 1500.

Although we agreed to take Neva because we could not bear to see her euthanised funds at the moment for the rescue are at an all time low as we have a really high number of dogs that were at risk in our care. Now with the costs of the additional operation we have set this page up to try and help us to raise money for Neva's next surgery which will go ahead this week and her ongoing recovery care.

If by means of a miracle we reach our target and above and you feel rather than the money be used elsewhere within the charities remit that is absolutely fine and if you contact us stating the amount you donated and the date and means we will of course be happy to reinburse.

Greyhound Gap can not thank everyone enough for their continued support. Without people like you dogs like Neva would not stand a chance. We are nothing without our wonderful supporters.

You can donate via the link to below to Neva's own Just Giving fund meaning if you are a tax payer we can also claim gift aid automatically on your donation.

Also you can donate by paypal to [email protected]

To donate by cheque please make payable to Greyhound Gap and send to

15 Farlton Road
            London
            SW18 3BJ

Comment

I am very sorry to hear that. I hope he receives best care that is available and that his journey is the best that it can be for all of you

Comment

Sorry to hear that :-(
                "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Isn't there another moral side to this to overcome here in the UK. Something to do with the action to terminate life has to be taken by a healthcare professional but their code means they cannot do it so got that argument to get over as well as the issues of his choice? Could be wrong.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

There's a difference between the healthcare person actually killing someone, and giving the person the right to kill themself. Is turning off a life-support system killing them, or allowing them to die for instance?

Patients could be given drugs or a button they can push. Although for paralysed patients that is tricky as they cannot do it themself.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Its a tough topic, if I am still mentally able to make the decision I don't feel its right to be able to end my own life.
                      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                      X