• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shell vs Super market petrol !!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stek View Post
    Morrisons LPG - 330 miles - 60 litre refill. 69p a litre....
    That's barbaric to make Porsche drive on LPG

Comment

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
      Hi,

I used to fill petrol from my local Morrison’s, recently moved to Shell petrol. Looks like Shell gives me 50-80 miles extract per full tank!. Is this due to 'superior' Shell Petrol or change in weather? My journey route is not changed in last 3-4 months.

Thanks.

NB. I donot own any Shell pumps & don't have shares in Shell.
      As others have said, you need to ensure the testing route is consistent, which is difficult to do in a commuting scenario.

Branded Additive packages will help clean injectors, reduce valve fouling, reduce corrosion and may improve combustion but will not necessarily (although some will say this) improve octane for greater performance and efficiency compared to others, although if you have a reactive EMS and a turbo you may see some improvements. Sometimes this may reflect the fact that the engine is in need of a bit of a hoover.

Normally the "cleansing" components of Additive packages will help in the medium term to improve your combustion but not necessarily overnight, especially if you have a normally aspirated engine.

Most of the branded fuels in the same area come from the same refinery stock, e.g. Fawley in the South East, Grangemouth in the Edinburgh/Glasgow regions.

YMMV is probably the best thing for this! HTH!
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Bloody hell mate, I'm a tester and testers are supposed to be pedantic, but I've never bothered working all that out.
        What can I say? I have spent too many years as a Geek...Anally retentive / Borderline Asperger's....also spent too much time configuring, running Mercury/HP Rigs!
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
          Hi,

I used to fill petrol from my local Morrison’s, recently moved to Shell petrol. Looks like Shell gives me 50-80 miles extract per full tank!. Is this due to 'superior' Shell Petrol or change in weather? My journey route is not changed in last 3-4 months.

Thanks.

NB. I donot own any Shell pumps & don't have shares in Shell.
          When I fill up at some pumps it jumps to 60p before any fuel comes out. Sometimes the pump has a lot of air inside. On one fill up at Tesco I got 72 litre in a 65 litre tank, that tells a lot. Some garages even put water in the fuel.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

There is a Fifth Gear youtoob prog on this they used a Golf GTI Edition 35 and tested it with various petrols, the conclusion was that Shell V power gave 5-10% increase in mpg but was most expensive but morrisions was 5% better mpg and was cheapest.

V-power did give an extra boost in mpg but that Butler-Henderson sort couldn't tell the difference.

qh
            Last edited by quackhandle; 23 April 2013, 14:55.
            He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Apparently, Tesco Momentum is corn based. More Ethanol. More soot and gunk in your car. Shell has been designed ground up for high octane rating. So they say. Hence I fill it. Then I floor it.
              Last edited by tranceporter; 23 April 2013, 14:53.
              I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

that Butler-Henderson sort couldn't tell the difference.

qh
                You would though.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by tranceporter View Post
                  Apparently, Tesco Momentum is corn based. More Ethanol. More soot and gunk in your car. Shell has been designed ground up for high octane rating. So they say. Hence I fill it. Then I floor it.
                  Petrol designed from the ground up? By who? God?

I did the test with my S2000 of regular vs super unleaded over the same daily 100mile motorway trip, and was getting about 280miles per tank vs 340miles. Which meant the super worked out slightly cheaper overall (and more importantly meant I didn't have to stop in the middle).
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    You would though.
                    I don't know, she has a wonky mouth. At times she does come across as a filthy whore who'd takes it up the wrong 'un!

qh
                    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

I wonder whether it could be partly placebo effect?
                      That driving on proper Shell you'll be on your best driving behaviour, rather as you would be taking tea at the Ritz.

Comment

Working...
                      X