• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Left vs right - the unfillable gulf

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the idea the banking crisis was caused, or linked to Maggie too, when most sane people realise that the money the city was providing to the Labour government gave them the opportunity to bloat the state, fitting in with their ideology; there was no way Gordon was going to kill the golden goose, for it provided him most of his pocket money, so he left it to self regulate, and we all know what happened to that...

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Checked that health tourism link and I did nowt of the sort, made no reference to you at all. You can always tell a lefty by the fact that they accuse people of calling them lefties without foundation!!!!

Seriously, you were one of the people I had in mind as sensible "lefties" who make some good informed arguments (if you would stop calling everyone cretin all the time I would take you off my ignore list) but some comments on that thread do illustrate my point of lack of focus on the issue, of seeing things in much wider terms. We should compare the cost of health tourism to rip off by bankers? Why? Even leaving aside the fact that our banking sector, unlike health tourism, has a huge net plus for our economy, should a real problem be dismissed because it's less than some other problem? It's illogical captain.
      What is illogical is focusing on a £200 million problem rather than a Billion to Trillion problem.
      HTH BIKIW.

PS If I'm on your ignore list why do you respond to my threads?
      Last edited by sasguru; 16 May 2013, 09:50.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
        I like the idea the banking crisis was caused, or linked to Maggie too, when most sane people realise that the money the city was providing to the Labour government gave them the opportunity to bloat the state, fitting in with their ideology; there was no way Gordon was going to kill the golden goose, for it provided him most of his pocket money, so he left it to self regulate, and we all know what happened to that...
        I completely agree that Labour left the City well alone.
        They were tulip scared of interfering with the free market and they didn't understand how it worked.
        But the fact is without the Big Bang in 1986, most banks would not have been allowed to get into the position they ultimately found themselves in.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

I swear I was taught at school that left wing was pro individual and right wing was pro state. I had that in my mind for years, is it correct? Has it ever been correct?
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
            I swear I was taught at school that left wing was pro individual and right wing was pro state. I had that in my mind for years, is it correct? Has it ever been correct?
            other way round (IMO)
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Teachers eh!
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                I completely agree that Labour left the City well alone.
                They were tulip scared of interfering with the free market and they didn't understand how it worked.
                But the fact is without the Big Bang in 1986, most banks would not have been allowed to get into the position they ultimately found themselves in.
                But regardless sas, that they were left alone, to do, as we're finding out, anything they wanted, led to the downfall, maybe seeds were sown, but new gardeners were brought in.

I genuinely cannot see this being anything to do with anything other than unmitigated greed, on both the pseudo regulators, and the bankers side. GB and Blair were in power all throughout the transition of this country turning in on itself to rely on the service sector, and they milked it as much as they could. Then, when it went tits up, it was as though they were all caught like rabbits in the headlights.

Greed and political ideology caused this.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                  But regardless sas, that they were left alone, to do, as we're finding out, anything they want, led to the downfall, maybe seeds were sown, but new gardeners were brought in. I genuinely cannot see this being anything to do with anything other than unmitigated greed, on both the pseudo regulators, and the bankers side. GB and Blair were in power all throughout the transition of this country turning in on itself to rely on the service sector, and they milked it as much as they could. Then, when it went tits up, it was as though they were all caught like rabbits in the headlights.

Greed and political ideology caused this.
                  Agree with all that, but who started the reliance in the service sector?
                  Labour were intellectually and morally bankrupt, after years in opposition they figured that any interference in the economy would be a bad thing (remember how Blair sucked up to the City).
                  Plus they figured that they could use the proceeds of the City to spend, spend spend.
                  Thing is if the Big Bang wouldn't have happened, Labour crapness in oversight wouldn't have mattered.
                  I'm not defending Labour they were tulipe compared to Maggie, but Maggie was no God either - and she was a bit naive, she though people in the City would act in the country's interests as she would have.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

PS If I'm on your ignore list why do you respond to my threads?
                    Because other cretins are quoting them.

So we should make a huge list of all the UK's problems, sort by cost and work down it one item at a time should we? I agree that some trivial issues can be ignored but, given so many different figures, it is not established that health tourism is at all trivial. We should at least be gathering some proper stats on it.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

you do seem to have a fair few things back-asswards. but at least to try to put it right
                      (\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X