• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hard problems

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Here's one to solve
    • There is a mismatch in the companies data that shows each user with a unique serial number against which is a notes ID and email address
    • The user does not use that Notes ID but another one and therefore another email address
    • All processes within the corporation are automated for password reset etc and send validation messages to the email address listed to the users serial number
    • The call to the Bobs Help Desk are raised - the resolution as the Bobs see it is to advise the user via email to use the automated process to reset the details on the intranet against the users profile to update with the correct email address
    • To access the intranet the user needs to login with credentials - these are set to authenticate with the wrong email for the user so are never received
    • Bob sends this advice out 3 times but receiving no reply closes the call off as no response received as per process
    • Despite being advised during the raising of the ticket not to use the email address on the Intranet but rather use the working address Bob insists on sending to the other address

Repeat ad infinitum
    Sack Bob and move the help desk to another country preferably in the EU where people have common sense.

It's not that expensive to hire apprentices in some tulip hole in the UK who will do the job right the first time thus saving money meaning less employees will be needed.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Riddle me this....
      In Firefox v21 if I do a google search for 1700 x 800 shower tray

& then click on the first link

http://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=l&ai...20tray&cad=rja

It just hangs there - same if I paste into a new window

If I paste that into IE v 10 then it brings up the website
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
        Here's one to solve
        • There is a mismatch in the companies data that shows each user with a unique serial number against which is a notes ID and email address
        • The user does not use that Notes ID but another one and therefore another email address
        • All processes within the corporation are automated for password reset etc and send validation messages to the email address listed to the users serial number
        • The call to the Bobs Help Desk are raised - the resolution as the Bobs see it is to advise the user via email to use the automated process to reset the details on the intranet against the users profile to update with the correct email address
        • To access the intranet the user needs to login with credentials - these are set to authenticate with the wrong email for the user so are never received
        • Bob sends this advice out 3 times but receiving no reply closes the call off as no response received as per process
        • Despite being advised during the raising of the ticket not to use the email address on the Intranet but rather use the working address Bob insists on sending to the other address

Repeat ad infinitum
        There is your problem.

Solution:

1. Develop an automated process that identifies the problem, takes the appropriate action using the interaction with the affected user(s) according to tested business rules.

2. Fire Bob big time.

3. Pay the invoice that is coming your way

Comment

I always find there are two ways to solve the really difficult ones. I don't mean the ones that exist because clients are too stupid to provide realistic requirements.

1. Stop thinking about it. Go and do something different. Anything as long as it takes your mind off the problem. Usually, the seed of an answer will germinate within hours. This is why

2. As an alternative discuss the problem with a good listener. Anyone will do as long as they are able to play a part in the conversation. I find that as I am trying to describe something in simpler terms to a non techie, the answer will hit me in the side of the head with the force of a baseball bat.

Comment

@Troll - Its nice at IBM, hey?
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Working...
            X