• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan B - Getting to grips what 'real' businesses charge for software

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how long is a piece of string

I've seen companies spend £1.5M to implement SAP at one site and others who've spent Billions to roll it out globally. These are implementation costs not software dev.

I have two projects on the go at the mo. One has a budget of $8M the other $0.5M, both are similar but the complexity and scales are different.

Comment

there were some good links on here a few weeks ago. They made the point that the first thing you sorted was the price & Market before you fired up the IDE.

The key thing is not how much it costs but how much are they are willing to pay.

Oracle & SAP charge shedloads because people are willing to pay.

If its a big number then you need to know how much the client is willing to pay up front & organise scheduled payments so you aren't out of pocket if they change their mind/run out of cash, fastest way to bankruptcy to ignore that.

Bespoke software which is either T&M for quote (or if small job you can take a flyer) then a fixed price on a defined specification or T&M for the lot with an estimate + deviation.

A product (where you develop to sell to multiples) is different.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Have a look at Oracle licensing costs and your figures look like small change!

And that's for off the shelf software....
        It's a very tall shelf that requires specially trained and licensed staff to pull that software from...

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          My budget for this year is $1.6m.

I thought you had position of responsibility???

Comment

To get a ballpark figure, multiply the number of days it takes to develop by daily rate by number of developers, divide by the number of units you expect to sell in a year. So, if it takes 3 of you 60 days to make the product, and your usual daily rate is £400, and you think you'll sell 2, you should be thinking of ~£36K. You might end up selling it for £5K, or £100K (to a large company). Then 15% of the sale price is the annual maintenance fee - also payable in the first year, pro-rated.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Always start high expecting to be negotiated down as bit. So Add 20% on your price based on hours and be willing to negotiate down.

Comment

Why ask for trillions when you can ask for billions?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

I thought you had position of responsibility???
                  I'ts 1600 times your turnover.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    I'ts 1600 times your turnover.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                      It's hard to come to terms with the numbers.

I was on a project where 500K (half a million £) was paid to Bob to develop a tool.

I was on a site visit and found they had not developed the tool, they just had a guy in the corner doing it manualy when required.
                      Was his name Atul? They probably just misinterpreted what they were asked to do.
                      "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Working...
                      X