• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Now it emerges that the World Wars were fought in vain ....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    The fact that German seems to be taking over Europe by stealth is down to many things but ultimately it is driven by personal greed and an interest in self and not what a combined Europe should be.
    Greed by whom? Shirley that is our downfall not theirs, Germans on the whole tend to be quite content with a modest lifestyle despite their potential to obtain pretty much whatever they like.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      Greed by whom? Shirley that is our downfall not theirs, Germans on the whole tend to be quite content with a modest lifestyle despite their potential to obtain pretty much whatever they like.
      whs

They don't tend to care much for great big houses, all the new gadgets and ultra trendy clothes. Most of them rent decent housing or buy at a sensible price, they save money and then buy top quality cars and maintain them for a long time, buy good quality clothes once in a while and see 'lifestyle' as sitting in a pub garden with some friends relaxing. They enjoy enough material comforts but don't blow their credit cards (most don't even have them) on tulipe every month.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        whs

They don't tend to care much for great big houses, all the new gadgets and ultra trendy clothes. Most of them rent decent housing or buy at a sensible price, they save money and then buy top quality cars and maintain them for a long time, buy good quality clothes once in a while and see 'lifestyle' as sitting in a pub garden with some friends relaxing. They enjoy enough material comforts but don't blow their credit cards (most don't even have them) on tulipe every month.
        Credit card transactions here are notoriously expensive. This is why people prefer debit cards or cash. Nothing to do with thrift as I first thought.

On the whole though they do cut their cloth to fit as you say.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Can you imagine Dim in Germany? He'd be a laughing stock with his Rado watch, gold chain, poor technical ability and lower-middle class pretensions
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Can you imagine Dim in Germany? He'd be a laughing stock with his Rado watch, gold chain, poor technical ability and lower-middle class pretensions
            I'd fit in with my Beemer though....

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              I'd fit in with my Beemer though....
              No, the German kebab munching classes drive these;

Comment

Opel Manta???

Comment

Opel Manta???
                  Yep; it's the ultimate Germanic überchav accessory. Think mullet haircuts, bumfluff moustaches and brown leather jackets; yes, they really do still exist in Germany. Popular with people who live in mobile accomodation too.

Comment

The fact that German seems to be taking over Europe by stealth is down to many things but ultimately it is driven by personal greed and an interest in self and not what a combined Europe should be.

Having said that at least Germany is run by the Nazi Party (I think!)
                    Huh? What a load of bollox.

They're no greedier or more selfish than anyone else; but where they do excel and always have, on average better than others, is in earnest single mindedness and manic energy.

Not agressiveness as such, although that is sometimes manifested. But when they want to do something, they go at it hammer and tongs.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

my mates dad had one of these back in the late 80's early 90's they were seen as 'quite' good

Comment

Working...
                      X