• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Something worth seeing in the Wail

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Driving along the A30 through Camberley, just about every building with any character or architectural interest has been flattened to make space for flats/travelodges/storage facilities.

Just this week, Robin's Cinema, a lovely art deco building finally got bulldozed.
    That's a shame; amazing that people flock to twee old villages at the weekends but don't seem to see the value in early 20th century architecture.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Not a Tesco's fan by any means but they reused and kept the Hoover Factory building in West London which is a classic art deco building and the inspiration for a classic Elvis Costello tune

Five miles out of London on the Western Avenue - Crying All The Way To The Chip Shop

Comment

Originally posted by geoffreywhereveryoumaybe View Post
        Not a Tesco's fan by any means but they reused and kept the Hoover Factory building in West London which is a classic art deco building and the inspiration for a classic Elvis Costello tune

Five miles out of London on the Western Avenue - Crying All The Way To The Chip Shop
        Yep, cool building.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          Read it again; I didn't say there was something worth 'reading' in the Wail.
          Perfect, thanks.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            That's a shame; amazing that people flock to twee old villages at the weekends but don't seem to see the value in early 20th century architecture.
            I think people do, but what say do they have?

In my home town there's a magnificent Art Deco open air pool that the local council are determined to demolish despite almost universal opposition from the local population, every proposal to re-develop the site has been vetoed as they'd rather have even more beach parking space at £8 a day.
            Last edited by gingerjedi; 3 July 2013, 08:56.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              I think people do, but what say do they have?

In my home town there's a magnificent Art Deco open air pool that the local council are determined to demolish despite almost universal opposition from the local population, every proposal to re-develop the site has been vetoed as they's rather have even more beach parking space at £8 a day.
              Not Saltdean Lido by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
                Not Saltdean Lido by any chance?
                This place: The Tropicana - a History
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                  I see your art deco swimming pool and raise you one art deco swimming pool with impressive art deco building.

Similar story although it does appear that the locals may have managed to save it.

Comment

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
                    I see your art deco swimming pool and raise you one art deco swimming pool with impressive art deco building.

Similar story although it does appear that the locals may have managed to save it.

Comment

I see your mock vintage strumpet (nice as she is) and raise you with Diana Dors, winner of 'Modern Miss Venus Weston-super-Mare 1945' (at the pool), though I can't find a picture of her there so this will have to do:

I saw her playing crazy golf with her boy in the early 80's.
                      Last edited by gingerjedi; 3 July 2013, 09:38.

Comment

Working...
                      X