• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Updating my CV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updating my CV

Why am I so useless at this? I stared at it for a couple of hours yesterday; managed to make a bit more progress today, but I'm still struggling to get it done. I spent 18 months in my previous permie job, but all I can think of to describe it is two brief paragraphs. I must have done more than that.

It's bugging me that my CV is über technical. I'm suddenly wondering if I should put in more BS about personal achievements and being a motivated self-starting team player who works on his own initiative, but it always seems to me that people that write that sort of thing are only trying to cover up for their lack of ability and a list of skills and successful projects is far more beneficial.

I have a Job Centre interview later, for which I have to bring my CV. So it's going to be interesting to see what they make of a load of stuff about boost thread synchronisation and template metaprogramming.

As you can see, I've even resorted to posting here to avoid working on it.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Lift sentences/paragraphs/phrases from other people's on linked in. That's what it's for.

Comment

Just put any old crap in for the job centre and then just update the CV when you are applying for gigs. Doing a generic one is just a waste of time. You are going to have to tailor it to the job you will be applying for next and the the description will tell you exactly what skills you need to highlight so fleshing out the last gig will be easy.

Don't sweat it.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

With CVs being held electronically these days I wonder whether recruiters / HR / clients search for the key words (i.e. skills / qualifications) and then read the CV for personality?

Back when I started in recruitment (90s ) I started with the neatness of handwriting on the CV but that's before computers were invented

Comment

Originally posted by EstherA4C View Post
          With CVs being held electronically these days I wonder whether recruiters / HR / clients search for the key words (i.e. skills / qualifications) and then read the CV for personality?

Back when I started in recruitment (90s ) I started with the neatness of handwriting on the CV but that's before computers were invented
          Thanks for that granddad.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by EstherA4C View Post
            Indeed. I still get emails for "Junior PHP developer", I suspect because one version of my CV from about 5 years ago I mentioned that I had basic knowledge of PHP in an attempt to appear more well rounded, and so have been stuck on somebody's database under PHP ever since. It's making me consider carefully what I want to put; I've done a lot of Javascript recently, but I don't want to put that on my CV or agents will forever be emailing me about £18K junior HTML "developer" positions.

Obviously I'm not stressing the Job Centre thing. I have other roles to apply for, which is why I'm suddenly in need of getting on with it.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Thanks for that granddad.
              Is someone called 'Esther' likely to be a granddad?
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Thanks for that grandma.
                FTFY
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  Indeed. I still get emails for "Junior PHP developer", I suspect because one version of my CV from about 5 years ago I mentioned that I had basic knowledge of PHP in an attempt to appear more well rounded, and so have been stuck on somebody's database under PHP ever since. It's making me consider carefully what I want to put; I've done a lot of Javascript recently, but I don't want to put that on my CV or agents will forever be emailing me about £18K junior HTML "developer" positions.

Obviously I'm not stressing the Job Centre thing. I have other roles to apply for, which is why I'm suddenly in need of getting on with it.
                  If you know any fellow contractors who you get on with, ask them to have a look at your CV and come up with suggestions. Some of the blokes I worked in my previous gig had some real nice tips. Result, a decent CV that does not get chucked in the bin (I know this because I have got compliments about my CV for pimps and clients).
                  I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

Originally posted by tranceporter View Post
                    If you know any fellow contractors who you get on with, ask them to have a look at your CV and come up with suggestions. Some of the blokes I worked in my previous gig had some real nice tips. Result, a decent CV that does not get chucked in the bin (I know this because I have got compliments about my CV for pimps and clients).
                    What were these tips?
                    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
                    X