• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

OU results in

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be honest, it didn't start out as the intention to do a degree. Did a couple of the 10 point courses the OU offers and really enjoyed them, so did the AA100 Humanities intro course. Having done that, I did another, and found I enjoyed the art history side of it, so did the summer school, realised I had half a degree so seemed daft not to carry on.

No, it's not going to be useful in itself as a subject, but I didn't get a degree first time round, so nice to tick the box. And I did learn a hell of a lot - including useful skills such as critical analysis etc. It was a lot harder (and more academic) than you might imagine - certainly not something that can be done without a considerable amount of hard work.

Agree that you don't need a formal framework to study, but I need deadlines and targets to get motivated. Doing =the assignments, for example, makes sure you assimilate the material and read it with a focus.

Edit: I should add that I first found the 10 point OU courses as something to spend Tesco vouchers on - if I hadn't accumulated several hundred pounds worth, I wouldn't have even thought about it! Unfortunately they pulled the scheme, so I had to pay real cash for the second half.
    Last edited by mudskipper; 26 July 2013, 23:09.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
      Is there any practical value for that degree ? Sounds more like a New Labour created degree, if you know what I mean. Why did you choose that ?
      Why must everything have a "practical value"? Learning is its own reward. And you won't find much "practical value" in art, music, literature, or just about anything that distinguishes humanity from a mound of termites.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        BA (Hons) Humanities with Art History

Very different from the day job, but filled a lot of gaps in my education.
        Well done.

While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Why must everything have a "practical value"? Learning is its own reward. And you won't find much "practical value" in art, music, literature, or just about anything that distinguishes humanity from a mound of termites.
          There is a practical value in art, music, literature and stuff that distinguishes humanity from a mound of termites but unfortunately some people can't see it.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            Edit: Found my degree offer (they'd hidden it well) It is a first - happy
            Brilliant result - congratulations!

Comment

Oh and well done mudskipper.

I'm always impressed by people who manage to do a degree part-time whilst working.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Thanks all.

Got the result after a night on the beer last night - but have checked, it's still there this morning!

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  WHS.

When you study this stuff, it's not like 'O' level literature where you read the book, analyse the English and learn lots of quotes parrot fashion - you look at the social and historical contexts, how it fits with contemporary thinking, what issues it raises, what influence it has today. I've learned so much stuff I didn't know I didn't know. (And, as a bonus, I can answer a lot more of the questions when I watch Eggheads )

Comment

Very well done.

3 or 4 more and you'll be nearly as clever as Sasguru

P.S. My degree from 1984 was a proper one - before they started giving them away. In those days a third class honours really meant something.

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
                      Very well done.

3 or 4 more and you'll be nearly as clever as Sasguru

P.S. My degree from 1984 was a proper one - before they started giving them away. In those days a third class honours really meant something.

Comment

Working...
                      X