• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stop the racist van

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    None of that is really racist, but a van with 'Go Home' pasted on it in bloody big letters, driving through neighbourhoods where a lot of different nationalities live, is pretty inflammatory IMO. It's BNP language and I don't see the point of it. It's also a pathetic gimmick that wastes money.
    But that is not correct. The van said "if you are in the UK illegally then go home or face arrest" .

Personally I would make everyone carry a passport and deport anyone without an English one. Especially the French and Scots.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      But that is not correct. The van said "if you are in the UK illegally then go home or face arrest" .

Personally I would make everyone carry a passport and deport anyone without an English one. Especially the French and Scots.
      Add that only your first two children can ever get passports, and that's the benefits problem wrapped up as well
      Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
        Add that only your first two children can ever get passports, and that's the benefits problem wrapped up as well
        Most of the kids have different fathers - I suppose they would have to do it from the mother.

Comment

It reminds me of:

Comment

Originally posted by RedSauce View Post
            It reminds me of:

I bet he knows where Maddy is.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

It's a stunt, they have no intention of deporting more than are coming in, far too sensitive, a lot of populations are in marginal boroughs and new immigrants tend to vote labour.

They won't be able to get the illegals out before their countrymen already nationalised vote in labour.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
                Unfortunately, I'm afraid I have to agree... I'll beat myself in punishment later.

How is it racist to say "If you're in this country illegally then leave now voluntarily, oh, and here's a number where you can get help in doing so."
                If that's racist, then surely deporting someone against their will, when they are in the country illegally, is even more racist.
                As was published somewhere, the total cost of this project was much lower than the cost of a single forced deportation (unless I mis-remembered and made that up).
                "Go home" is, as Mich said, inflammatory.

Driving through neighbourhoods full of brown immigrants raises the suspicion that anyone living in that neighbourhood is here illegally (thereby inciting racial hatred), unlike a nice leafy white middle class suburb which couldn't possibly be housing the odd Aussie that's outstayed his visa.

A national tv or newspaper ad, stating that if you are here illegally , you may be arrested, and if you would like help returning to your home country, you should text xxxx, would not have been racist.

The message isn't racist. The wording and delivery are.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

Driving through neighbourhoods full of brown immigrants raises the suspicion that anyone living in that neighbourhood is here illegally (thereby inciting racial hatred), unlike a nice leafy white middle class suburb which couldn't possibly be housing the odd Aussie that's outstayed his visa.

A national tv or newspaper ad, stating that if you are here illegally , you may be arrested, and if you would like help returning to your home country, you should text xxxx, would not have been racist.

+1 most definitely inciting race hatred.

though when they catch them deporting them straight away might be more effective, the Police find them then point them to Croydon to sign up as an illegal
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

Isn't it more likely they've targeted poor areas, that just so happen to have less white people becuase they're much less likely not to get a council house in a populated area because they're not immigrants and would be way down on the councils priorities
                    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
                      Isn't it more likely they've targeted poor areas, that just so happen to have less white people becuase they're much less likely not to get a council house in a populated area because they're not immigrants and would be way down on the councils priorities
                      I'm sure their targeting is correct, but it's also racist.

Comment

Working...
                      X