• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Let there be light

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Helps how exactly, rather than just parroting the article? Wouldn't a faceted bulb distribute the light even more effectively?
    A faceted bulb would work better but discarded coke bottles are 'free' water & Bleach nearly free.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

But they look bloody stupid. You could produce commercial units for a few pence since they wouldn't need a filament or to be pressurised.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

So does a hole in the roof suck more light into a room when you glue a bottle to it? Wouldn't you be better just having a window/skylight?
        Windows cost money. Drilling a hole in the roof is considerably cheaper. When you're really poor you don't give a flying **** what it looks like.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

But they look bloody stupid. You could produce commercial units for a few pence since they wouldn't need a filament or to be pressurised.
          its a free way to give dirt poor farmers light in their shacks and avoids them burning poisonous fossil fuels in their huts for lights.

Comment

Yes but its costs money add transportation and it more money. Discarded drinks bottles are free and everywhere.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              its a free way to give dirt poor farmers light in their shacks and avoids them burning poisonous fossil fuels in their huts for lights.
              I thought dirt poor farmers went to sleep when it was dark. This approach has worked for thousands of years, long before the invention of electric lighting or gas/oil lamps.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Discarded drinks bottles are free and everywhere.
                Maybe where you live

Comment

I thought dirt poor farmers went to sleep when it was dark. This approach has worked for thousands of years, long before the invention of electric lighting or gas/oil lamps.
                  this is during the day, early evening when they make clothes or the kids dinner, or the rainy season.

Bottles are free in the poor areas soft drink's manufacturers give them away free or sell them very cheap to people who litter them or they can be recycled locally.

Comment

Neat. my allotment shed could use a couple of those.

thanks.
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

What if you make a double-ended one, I wonder - another bottle outside the roof. Wouldn't that collect light from a greater area?

Or a shiny funnel I'm patenting a funnel covered in kitchen foil...

Comment

Working...
                      X