• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Floor Tiles. Girly Question.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I didn't make a thread! This is my life!

But, here you go:

I get a lot of aggro from my father about my picture hanging style. It has always worked for me till now - pick a vague wall spot, guess at where the middle of the picture is, use a huge hammer to smash in a small tack, remove bent tack and replace, making sure the picture is still going to cover the now damaged wall area. Smash new tack in, test that new bent tack will still take picture - hang picture.

I followed this trusted process in my son's playroom, until the picture fell off the wall one day when someone slammed a door. I removed the tack with the intention of replacing it - a tiny dribble of water started to come out of the hole.

I opted to ignore it, and went to fetch a new tack.

On returning, the dribble had gathered steam and was cascading down the wall.

I phoned my plumber friend who confirmed I must have burst a pipe. He said some other sweary type words which I won't repeat here, and drove across to help me. He was forced to use a hammer and chisel to smash a huuuge hole in the wall to get to the pipe, which was behind concrete. He stopped the flow of water and left me to it.

I did actually manage, over a period of weeks, to fill the hole and ensure it was completely smooth. The wall has been repainted, and it's not noticeable. I'm quite proud of that.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MaryPoppins again.

Comment

...I did actually manage, over a period of weeks, to fill the hole and ensure it was completely smooth. The wall has been repainted, and it's not noticeable. I'm quite proud of that.
      Is this the Aquafresh feature wall I've heard so much about?

Comment

I didn't make a thread! This is my life!

But, here you go:

I get a lot of aggro from my father about my picture hanging style. It has always worked for me till now - pick a vague wall spot, guess at where the middle of the picture is, use a huge hammer to smash in a small tack, remove bent tack and replace, making sure the picture is still going to cover the now damaged wall area. Smash new tack in, test that new bent tack will still take picture - hang picture.

I followed this trusted process in my son's playroom, until the picture fell off the wall one day when someone slammed a door. I removed the tack with the intention of replacing it - a tiny dribble of water started to come out of the hole.

I opted to ignore it, and went to fetch a new tack.

On returning, the dribble had gathered steam and was cascading down the wall.

I phoned my plumber friend who confirmed I must have burst a pipe. He said some other sweary type words which I won't repeat here, and drove across to help me. He was forced to use a hammer and chisel to smash a huuuge hole in the wall to get to the pipe, which was behind concrete. He stopped the flow of water and left me to it.

I did actually manage, over a period of weeks, to fill the hole and ensure it was completely smooth. The wall has been repainted, and it's not noticeable. I'm quite proud of that.
        I'm impressed - that you have never electrocuted yourself.

Wiring in some of the places I have lived in has been in odd places due to living in older houses so I've always had a pipe and cable detector.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Wiring in some of the places I have lived in has been in odd places due to living in older houses so I've always had a pipe and cable detector.
          We're not all perfect Suze!
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Our Mary is dielectric...

Comment

We're not all perfect Suze!
              I'm paranoid.

That's what living in old houses does to you.

If I lived in nice modernish houses I would know that all the cabling and piping would be in "normal" places.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

A bit of a random question. I can't ask my friends or family about this as they will patronise me and tell me I shouldn't attempt this myself.

Two floor tiles have come loose in my en suite - one has cracked and is a bit of a health hazard.

I have some spare tiles in the garage. If I buy some tile adhesive, can I just blob some of that on the floor and stick some new tiles down?

How much of a risk is there that I'm going to end up sticking a body part to the floor/wall?

A lot depends on the size of yer crack. If it is, indeed, large, then it needs to be sorted asap. Trim it round the edges, make sure its nice and clean, then get to work and give it a good grouting afterwards. Make sure it is not damp before you start, but it can get as wet as you like afterwards.

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I'm paranoid.

That's what living in old houses does to you.

If I lived in nice modernish houses I would know that all the cabling and piping would be in "normal" places.
                  Same here. As in, the old houses bit.

If I can't see something, it's not there. Pipes behind walls is a great example.

[I now have a pipe detector, as bought by one smug father]
                  Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                  +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    A lot depends on the size of yer crack. If it is, indeed, large, then it needs to be sorted asap. Trim it round the edges, make sure its nice and clean, then get to work and give it a good grouting afterwards. Make sure it is not damp before you start, but it can get as wet as you like afterwards.

You are revolting.

+5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

But don't get toothpaste on it.

Comment

Working...
                      X