• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

4.5 million britons have less than £10 a month in disposable income

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    I went back home to the Amman Valley from Cardiff University for the weekend once. I walked passed a pub on my way into town and 2 guys were giving someone a kicking in the car park at about 8pm. I went into another pub to find some mates and then into the beer garden and 4 man brawl broke out in the doorway and I was stuck waiting for the 2 bouncers to break it up so I could leave the pub to see where everyone was. I went to the wine bar and someone had someone else by the throat and was threatening them in the entrance. I found my mates inside. I had not even got a drink and I had walked passed more violence than I had seen in the previous few months in Cardiff.

Some people are surprised I don't go back home very often, I am surprised that the town has not beaten itself to death.
    Not surprised to see the wine bar was relatively peaceful; just threatening someone instead of kicking the tulip out of him.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Not surprised to see the wine bar was relatively peaceful; just threatening someone instead of kicking the tulip out of him.
      Well, it was a classy place.
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Well, it was a classy place.
        So to what extent does the MTV series 'The Valleys' reflect the truth about young people in the Valleys?
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
          If you're serious, then I've found an excellent resource for learning spoken Welsh are these:

https://site.saysomethingin.com/comm...ages/home-cyen
          I'm semi serious it depends if I move, I want to be somewhere more rural and I have friends out there

The main stumbling block is that I find languages hard to pick up without using them in real life

A lot of places seem to run cheap lessons out there, but something online like that is a good start
          Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            So to what extent does the MTV series 'The Valleys' reflect the truth about young people in the Valleys?
            I have never watched it but from what I understand it is very unpopular with most Welsh people who do watch it! Maybe it strikes to close to home!?

On wiki it mentions that they basically go out and get as drunk as possible. This is exactly what nights out were like back home to any of use who were not drugged up. I was surprised when I went to university and then moved to Hampshire that people did not seem to have the same drive to get hammered.
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

I have never watched it but from what I understand it is very unpopular with most Welsh people who do watch it! Maybe it strikes to close to home!?

On wiki it mentions that they basically go out and get as drunk as possible. This is exactly what nights out were like back home to any of use who were not drugged up. I was surprised when I went to university and then moved to Hampshire that people did not seem to have the same drive to get hammered.
              I think firstly they drink to forget.
              Then they drink as they've forgotten what else they could do....
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
                If you're serious, then I've found an excellent resource for learning spoken Welsh are these:
                I'll provide a starter for free:

Baa - yes
                Ba - No
                Baaaaa Ba Baaa - wrong hole
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  We've got more vowels than you lot.

We just keep 'em secret.
                  True. And we can afford a larger alphabet.

The only people the North Walians hate more than the English is the South Walians (or possibly someone from the next largest town. Or scousers). I'd pretend to be English and I certainly wouldn't bother learning the language.
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Have you seen house prices in London?
                    They're so big I couldn't read them in my life time.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X