• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cut out and keep: How to behave in Britain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is a great post. Someone did a good job of writing that. I thought it would be a dismissive piece of rubbish but it's a good read with good unbiased points.

I wonder what the modern day equivalent would look like though.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The trains are unwashed and grimy because men and women are needed for more important work than car-washing.
      Did they buy that one

Some of the ones that stayed may have noticed that the trains remained unwashed and grimy long after the war.

he British people are anxious for you to know that in normal times Britain looks much prettier, cleaner, neater.
      ha ha.....

it gets better

The British are beer-drinkers-and can hold it.
      You will find that English crowds at football matches are more orderly and polite to the players than American crowds.
      Last edited by BlasterBates; 4 October 2013, 16:35.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Unabashedly proud of my adopted country.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
          ISTR they Americans demanded segregated regiments which they were granted by the MOD. They also demanded segregated pubs but the landlords refused. They went in to pubs and often tried to beat up the black guys there but were surprised (and probably injured) when the white British would intervene and fought alongside their black countrymen. Made me proud to be British.

A friend who was in the army more recently was told by some Americans who they were working with that their unit had been told "don't drink with the British, don't gamble with the British and for God's sake don't fight with the British".
          It's just one of the things among many give me a great deal of pride in having become part of this country even if as an immigrant - And once upon a time 'immigrant' wasn't such a bad word...
          (Ref: South Asians and the Shaping of Britain: 1870-1950, edited by Ruvani Ranasinha et al, review - Telegraph)
          Mahinder Singh Pujji, a 22-year-old Indian man, was queuing to see a film at his local cinema. The man in front of him saw his turban and uniform – Pujji was a member of the RAF – and said: “Sir, you don’t have to stand in the queue.” He ushered him to the front of the line. No one grumbled and the woman working in the ticket office, again seeing his turban and wings, refused to accept money for the ticket....

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I wonder what the modern day equivalent would look like though.
            How about this?
            http://www.amazon.co.uk/English-Port.../dp/0141032952

Comment

Working...
            X