• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buggeridge on Friday

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    It seems not Malc. Is he familiar with the Wicker Man
    Apparently not DS. Indeed, there's a tradition in these parts for out of towners who come down 'ere with their fancy ways to find themselves trussed up on the white post at the mercy of Farmer Dyer and his hell's farm hands.
    Last edited by Malcolm Buggeridge; 13 October 2013, 07:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
      Apparently not DS. Indeed, there's a tradition in these parts for out of towners who come down 'ere with their fancy ways to find themselves trussed up on the white post at the mercy of Farmer Dyer and his hell's farm hands.
      Ooo! That sounds unpleasant!

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
        Not the White Post outside Radstock????!!!

Comment

Lots of pubs have been closing for years but in my experience it is largely down to ownership by dipsticks who are not suited to the job. Local closest to me that shut down years ago was owned by a surly git. Next nearest nearly went a couple of years ago when a similar sort brought and ran it but, since he got a friendly Irish couple in to run it, it's being doing pretty well. Live music nights, quizzes, decent meals etc.

PS Not that I go there when I can get a vodka for 1.50 at the village club.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by socialworker View Post
            Not the White Post outside Radstock????!!!
            No, but as an ex resident of Chilcompton I know the White Post very well and I was up there just the other week enjoying one of Brendan and Margot's splendid carveries.

The white post to which I refer is a medieval relic, a bit like a pillory, to which some unfortunate would be attached to receive whatever chastisement the local populace deemed appropriate.

Fortunately, most undesirables these days never get further than a good old fashioned impaling on the church railings with the white post generally serving as a sanction of last resort.

Comment

Malc, is this the White Post on the Fosse Way? If so, have you heard any stories of ghostly roman soldiers marching past the pub? Allegedly there have been a few manifestations in that area, as there have been further up in Leicestershire.

Comment

ZeroDegrees in Reading has ladies watching over the gents' urinals.

(Much to the consternation of one peeing man, I did pop in there one day for a peek after a few too many pints of their excellent mango beer)

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  ZeroDegrees in Reading has ladies watching over the gents' urinals.

(Much to the consternation of one peeing man I did pop in there one day to let him peek at my mangos after a few too many pints of their excellent beer)
                  ftfy

Comment

Working...
                  X