UK House Prices Hit All Time High of £247,000 UK House Prices Hit All Time High of £247,000
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 22

Banned

Freaki Li Cuatre is too good to be a permie

Default UK House Prices Hit All Time High of £247,000

The Guardian

This really is not a good thing at all.

I presume a lot of this is due to all the foreign investment in London where investors from club med countries have seen uk bricks and mortar as a safe investment.

Spare a thought for anyone young trying to get a foot on the ladder.

We need more houses built but we don't want our countryside being concreted over.

Here's my solution: all those empty premises on uk high streets - do something with them. We are constantly being told that the high street is in its death throes anyhow...

My post count is Majestic

vetran is always on top

move business and jobs across the UK.

Stop people sitting on housing hoping to build on it etc.

Have fewer new people.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

Obstinate Git

Mich the Tester is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by Freaki Li Cuatre View Post

Here's my solution: all those empty premises on uk high streets - do something with them. We are constantly being told that the high street is in its death throes anyhow...
    WHS; I lived in a flat above a shop when I was a student and it was really a very nice place to live. Although perhaps the neighbours didn't appreciate it all the time.

Here in NL there's loads of empty office space built in the speculative boom of the 90s and early 2000s and just this week the gov have come up with the genius idea of relaxing planning rules so that some of it can be converted into residential space. Trouble is, a lot of it's owned by pension companies who have to cut the book value if they cut the rent, hence making some of them theoretically insolvent.

What a mess.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Super poster

amcdonald is too good to be a permie

We could just spread the population more around the UK, it's population density in specific areas not overall population in the uk
    Doing the needful since 1827

My post count is Majestic

AtW is a fount of knowledge

Set lower taxes for those who live up North.

Sorteed.

HTH

Obstinate Git

Quote Originally Posted by amcdonald View Post
    We could just spread the population more around the UK, it's population density in specific areas not overall population in the uk
    That sounds a bit like social engineering and I don't really think it works well.

More fingers than teeth

scooterscot - scorchio!

Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain

Not in Edinburgh they have not, particularly the next one up for the first time buyer, like my place is.

In fact, as I understand it, the value of our flat is still below 2007 prices.

Elsewhere in the country it's rather amazing, it's like the credit crunch never happened. Why something is not being done to arrest price growth like in London & suburbs is beyond me. Annual 10% increases can not end well.
    “We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we've barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us.”

Super poster

amcdonald is too good to be a permie

Quote Originally Posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    That sounds a bit like social engineering and I don't really think it works well.
    Incentivise companies and the public sector to move out of the south east, what are the alternatives ?
    Doing the needful since 1827

Obstinate Git

Quote Originally Posted by amcdonald View Post
    Incentivise companies and the public sector to move out of the south east, what are the alternatives ?
    Public sector's spread all over the place AFAIK. As for companies, there's been a lot of that in the past.

Reminds me of Not the Nine O'Clock News, which perhaps makes me an

Failed in Wales - Not The 9 O'clock News - YouTube

Fingers like lightning

RedSauce is too good to be a permie

There is a lot of social housing in london, if residents were offered to give up their 2 bedroom flat for a 3-bedroom semi up north I am sure many would take up the offer.