• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are dinner expenses um... ethical?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    I wonder if the OP is now wishing he didn't have a dozen oysters, lobster thermidor and a bottle of champagne for lunch every day for the last month?
    Its ok, British Oyster season would have finished by the start of September so its fine
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by half View Post
      You've stumbled upon one of my pet peeves. Tea is a caffeinated drink, made from tea leaves, of all things. Don't let me hear anybody calling lunch dinner, or...
      So to be clear, were you talking about midday or evening meal? Evening meal would be taking the piss IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        So to be clear, were you talking about midday or evening meal? Evening meal would be taking the piss IMO.
        I was talking about evening meal. Spoke to someone at HMRC in the end, and even he wasn't sure if a lunch time claim had to coincide with around lunch time, as I had read somewhere (so there!). He checked with his colleagues, and finally said I could buy breakfast, lunch, and dinner together, in the morning, and still claim for them separately. And it's fine to claim for an evening meal. They set the rule, that if you're out for more than 10 hours, you can claim, so they will stick to that. I think it would only be taking the piss if I was actually getting my client to pay for these things, as I originally thought.

You live and learn. Then you know everything.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          Its ok, British Oyster season would have finished by the start of September so its fine
          That's what my limo driver said before I sacked him.

Comment

I was talking about evening meal. Spoke to someone at HMRC in the end, and even he wasn't sure if a lunch time claim had to coincide with around lunch time, as I had read somewhere (so there!). He checked with his colleagues, and finally said I could buy breakfast, lunch, and dinner together, in the morning, and still claim for them separately. And it's fine to claim for an evening meal. They set the rule, that if you're out for more than 10 hours, you can claim, so they will stick to that. I think it would only be taking the piss if I was actually getting my client to pay for these things, as I originally thought.

Did you get a name and a call reference?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

If you are out of the house for 10 hours or more and travelling to a temporary workplace then you can claim £10 under the benchmark scale rates; if you were to claim for breakfast or dinner you would need to prove that your start time or finish time were exceptional and were before 6am and after 8pm HM Revenue & Customs: Revenue & Customs Brief 24/09
              Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                1)
                2) Who do you think pays your expenses? No one is going to give you money - you pay your expenses, the 'expense' bit means you get the money back from what you earn before tax.
                NorthernladUK Comment generator
                What!! Nobody ever mentioned that bit!! Are you sure?

I've been deducting it from my VAT payments.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  And if you want ethics in contracting head easteatht on the A12
                  FTFY
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

What is this crap about 'ethical'?

I spend 4 nights a week away from home, earning a living and paying tuliploads of tax to finance interfering politicians, nosey parkers at the tax office, lazy gits like my neighbour who fake their disability and other assorted scumbags. I've spent about a hundred thousand euros on training since I started working in IT 15 years ago, I have experienced a clientco going bust leaving me 30,000 euros out of pocket and another clientco committing bankruptcy fraud leaving me 20,000 euros out of pocket, I drive all the way across an admittedly fairly small country to spend all week near clientco, I often field phone calls from clientco's staff late in the evening and early in the morning, and at the weekend there is no greater pleasure than sitting down to a simple home made dinner with a couple of candles on the table with Lady Tester. I don't expect sympathy because I've chosen this way of life, but if I want to make my evenings away from home a little more pleasant by eating a nice meal in a decent restaurant, and yes, choosing a wine that compliments the food, then as far as I can see, there's no 'ethics' involved; it's common sense and completely fair, and if some busybodying little tulipe at the tax office who goes home at 5 every day and has never spent a night away from home for his 'work' wants to stop me, then he can think again, because this taxpayer is sick to the back teeth of financing the misplaced jealousy of politicians and civil servants, and if they try to limit my spending on going out for a meal in the evening then I'll just bloody well work less so I can pay less tax and claim whatever tax credits I can get for having a 'low income'.

Rant over.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                      .... and if they try to limit my spending on going out for a meal in the evening then I'll just bloody well work less so I can pay less tax and claim whatever tax credits I can get for having a 'low income'.

Rant over.
                      Ah, I didn't like the ending. I thought something more exciting would happen than you just sat in a chair doing FA. But it started very well.

9/10.

Comment

Working...
                      X