• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Programmer Anarchy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

Erm, we're all office geeks here. A proper man's job would be something like fireman, oil rig worker, deep sea diver, special forces soldier or north Atlantic fisherman. All too cold and painful for any of us.
    Quite right, more than a hundred years ago we would have been sitting in a big office with ledgers made from trees (paper for those of you who don't know) with a quill pen and ink, filling in rows of figures in a scratchy font. We ought to think ourselves lucky...
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      The problem with this methodology is that if your team are all very good, they will tend to perform great regardless of methodology. Methodologies are there as safeguards and guidelines for the 95% of teams who are not very good.
      WHS. You either manage to the lowest common denominator to accommodate the weak links or you don't hire them in the first place.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Just because you're a developer and you're autistic doesn't mean all developers are. This methodology would absolutely REQUIRE your developers are very good - if they are it will work fine.

The problem with this methodology is that if your team are all very good, they will tend to perform great regardless of methodology. Methodologies are there as safeguards and guidelines for the 95% of teams who are not very good.
        And also end customer(s) who are bought into the process, and have authority to make decisions as well

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
          And also end customer(s) who are bought into the process, and have authority to make decisions as well
          That only leads to problems.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

That only leads to problems.
            haha, true!

Comment

Hmmmm.

I can see both sides of this

We have some BA's and PM's who insist at the start of the project that we are not going to specify the systems we are going to use but we are going to see what the requirements are and then decide what system to use...

However in doing that what they are actually saying is that the 2500 user system we have over 900 locations which has been developed in house and is there for licence free may be replaced by another system costing over £2-3 million to implement with a further £1million per year licence cost which will also incur a huge training overhead and not be delviered for another 3 years.

Right away we can see that the assumption made is not correct as we will not replace the system.

So with all the bull tulip out of the way I sit down with our 3 developers and produce a beta envrionment based on what the highlevle requirements are - becuase me and the dev team have been around the business for a good few years we actually understand the business better than most so we deliver the beta - it is 90% correct and is a great way for the main users to ariticulate what needs changing.

What we have avoided by doing this as having a project's goals changed to make some middle/senior management bell end look good and we have actually delivered a project which has genuine business benefits

Anarchy? - only if anarchy is the ability to get things done efficiently.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                Hmmmm.

I can see both sides of this

We have some BA's and PM's who insist at the start of the project that we are not going to specify the systems we are going to use but we are going to see what the requirements are and then decide what system to use...

However in doing that what they are actually saying is that the 2500 user system we have over 900 locations which has been developed in house and is there for licence free may be replaced by another system costing over £2-3 million to implement with a further £1million per year licence cost which will also incur a huge training overhead and not be delviered for another 3 years.

Right away we can see that the assumption made is not correct as we will not replace the system.

So with all the bull tulip out of the way I sit down with our 3 developers and produce a beta envrionment based on what the highlevle requirements are - becuase me and the dev team have been around the business for a good few years we actually understand the business better than most so we deliver the beta - it is 90% correct and is a great way for the main users to ariticulate what needs changing.

What we have avoided by doing this as having a project's goals changed to make some middle/senior management bell end look good and we have actually delivered a project which has genuine business benefits

Anarchy? - only if anarchy is the ability to get things done efficiently.
                Stop it. Just f$&@)gstop bull sh1tting for 1 minute.

What was your contribution to the beta?

Please be honest. How did you add value? How did you make a difference?

Don't be tempted to lie... It's an anonymous forum. Nobody cares

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post

I design the screen layouts, confirm which data tables are to be updated, explain what outputs are needed, I explain to the users what will happen and why, and how it fits into their work process, i decide what will and what will not be devliered based on identified business benefits, I create documentation to develop from and user manuals to learn from.

- I assume you are saying this becasue I have PM in my username?

when in fact that does not stand for Project Manager

What do you do apart from end all sentences with an upward inflection and eat vegamite sandwiches

Mate?

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post

Calm down, calm down. It's an anonymous forum. Nobody cares.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                      I design the screen layouts, confirm which data tables are to be updated, explain what outputs are needed, I explain to the users what will happen and why, and how it fits into their work process, i decide what will and what will not be devliered based on identified business benefits, I create documentation to develop from and user manuals to learn from.

- I assume you are saying this becasue I have PM in my username?

when in fact that does not stand for Project Manager

What do you do apart from end all sentences with an upward inflection and eat vegamite sandwiches

Mate?

Choke down pole PM swine.

oops, wrong login.

Comment

Working...
                      X