• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What makes you seek a new gig?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mickey View Post
    Would you bump your current dull gig with reasonable hours and good rate for a gig with more stress and longer hours that also looks sexier on the CV?
    My ability to tolerate dull gigs and find ways to enjoy them is what provides me work. If I want to try new technical things I do it at home or, if I can, I find business reasons why I should use it for the client.
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Apart from those rare occasions when the current contract is not being rolled.
      Is it that rare? If they keeping rolling a role () that is a bit permie-ish...

That aside, a role which paid substantially better would get me to move, but more likely is I'd simply get bored. I don't generally like to work on one project exclusively for much over a year, I like to learn new things and keep things fresh which is one reason I left permiedom in the first place.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Is it that rare? If they keeping rolling a role () that is a bit permie-ish...

That aside, a role which paid substantially better would get me to move, but more likely is I'd simply get bored. I don't generally like to work on one project exclusively for much over a year, I like to learn new things and keep things fresh which is one reason I left permiedom in the first place.
        WHS. 18 months in this one gig is starting to make me go grey.

Comment

I've not dumped a contract mid-way but I have turned down renewals.

This has been because something more interesting is on offer and market rates have improved, or have been at current clientco too long and they've started messing me around in some way.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            +1, and that

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
              I've not dumped a contract mid-way.
              Why not?

Comment

Why not?
                Why would you? Unless it's really terrible you're not going to be looking for another role so the odds of finding something far better are therefore much lower, even if you have no qualms about invoking your notice period. And if you don't like to get bored, you should factor that in when accepting each extension.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Contractors with tails always wagging and leaving early and not finishing projects are not going to have much of a client base.

Comment

Originally posted by Damon View Post
                    I've always completed contracts even if not enjoyable as it's not really the deal is it?

They sign for work you get paid for it. I would find it harder to work in a unenjoyable role as a permy facing a PDP at year end than for a short while as a contractor before leaving.

The only time I have finished a contract early was due to a family incident that needed me nearer to home. I spoke to the end client explaining my desire to leave after 3 months of a 6 month gig. I found them a replacement from my network which they interviewed and were happy with so I left on the best terms I could.
                    Obviously never done a gig where you did the work, then were left to rot for the remainder of the term. Just not comfortable taking money when all I'm doing is smoking my own belly button fluff.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                      Obviously never done a gig where you did the work, then were left to rot for the remainder of the term. Just not comfortable taking money when all I'm doing is smoking my own belly button fluff.
                      indeed. or believed the bs given during the interview, but on arrival found they had the budget but not the work. 6 weeks of a six monther was enough for me.

or realising the 'ramp up' of resource for a major project was more managers but no one to actually assist with the 3000 days of effort needed to deliver. if a client loses my trust then theres no way i'll hang around.

Comment

Working...
                      X