• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

what a job spec

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its infuriating that they even chance putting in an ad for a PM at that day rate. Its a sad reflection on how unchecked immigration has devastated the IT industry. It seems that rate wise we are slowly heading to depressing levels.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
      At least they are honest. It's a pragmatic description of the skillset required in some places.

But are there people who would read that and think "Ah yes, I would fit in perfectly there, sounds like just the job for me"?
      Probably. I'm not sure why you should get paid more because it's a bit of a mess; if you can't do this kind of job without letting it stress you out then maybe you're not cut out for it

Although as FA says it seems low regardless, although I don't know that location's typical rates.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Probably. I'm not sure why you should get paid more because it's a bit of a mess; if you can't do this kind of job without letting it stress you out then maybe you're not cut out for it

Although as FA says it seems low regardless, although I don't know that location's typical rates.
        Its outer London heading towards Heathrow / Buckinghamshire...... That should tell you the appropriate real rate...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I don't know what PMs earn compared to devs but... £450?

Comment

I agree the stress isn't an excuse but it will be there.

My opinion on rate will be based on the difficulty on delivering in this environment. It will be professionally and personally frustrating; sure nothing unusual but the risk of blame and early termination carry a cost IMO.

I look at this opportunity as a risk vs. reward situation and as a high risk gig it would carry a price to compensate for it.

Perhaps they are having a lot of trouble because of their level of investment? The old cliche...'you think hiring a professional is expensive; try hiring an amateur'

Comment

I don't really see why your day rate would increase. If it's difficult it takes longer. "Danger money" for dealing with a particularly horrible environment, maybe - but again if that kind of thing is going to get your blood up this probably isn't the contract for you. Some people can do confrontation, etc, at work without actually getting stressed and taking it home with them.

Comment

I don't really see why your day rate would increase. If it's difficult it takes longer. "Danger money" for dealing with a particularly horrible environment, maybe - but again if that kind of thing is going to get your blood up this probably isn't the contract for you. Some people can do confrontation, etc, at work without actually getting stressed and taking it home with them.
                Its not that the day rate should increase, the rate offered is extremely low for a PM within the M25, most roles will be £375 to £475 for a PM. Dunno how much cut the agent is making but I suspect the company have already overrun budgets so can't pay much, in which case pay peanuts get monkey.

They would have been better off advertising direct - e.g. on universal job match at £350 per day there would be benched PMs who would take it up and get not far off a semi-decent rate.
                This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by Damon View Post
                  I look at this opportunity as a risk vs. reward situation and as a high risk gig it would carry a price to compensate for it.

Perhaps they are having a lot of trouble because of their level of investment? The old cliche...'you think hiring a professional is expensive; try hiring an amateur'
                  All too true, both points.

It's clear they need a real PM who can manage people and suppliers to make things happen, not some junior Gantt chart pilot who thinks that project management is about pretty documents. For £300 a day in North London they've no hope, they couldn't get someone good enough in Barnsley for that.

Comment

they didn't find anyone

Role is advertised again - either they found someone and they couldn't hack it or they are just still looking

Project Manager - Wembley Middlesex London - January-29-2014 (DIJXA)
                    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                      how long before he notices...?
                      About a month
                      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                      X